BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, i have just picked up a ten bolt rear end out of a full size blazer. i have a S-10 with a ten bolt rear end. the gear ratios are the same.

are the gears interchangable? can i just swap parts between the 2 rear ends?

thanks

:cool:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If gears are the same....why swap them?? I'ld guess ones toasted?
A 10 bolt is a 10 bolt.
axles will be different lengths (obviously), but gears and carriers will be swappable.
Unless ones C-clip and ones Semi-floater. Not sure wich the 10 bolt is, or if offered as both.
Keep ring and pinions together tho. I wouldn't use 1 ring gear and the other pinion gear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing wrong with either set. i just want to try welded for a while and would like a spare set of gears before i rip the welded ones apart. :D

thanks for the info

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rosie said:
hi there, i have just picked up a ten bolt rear end out of a full size blazer. i have a S-10 with a ten bolt rear end. the gear ratios are the same.

are the gears interchangable? can i just swap parts between the 2 rear ends?

thanks

A 10 bolt is not a 10 bolt when you're talking about the S-10 version. The fullsize half ton version is an 8.5" ring gear, C-clip axle with either 28 or 30 spline axles depending on vintage. The S-10 version has 10 cover bolts and that's where the similarity ends. The ring gear is only 7.625" and nothing swaps between the two diff's.

Rene

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Holey mis-informed batman
So if the centers have nothing in common, what defines it as a '10 bolt'. Surely its more than the cover plate..........right....?

·
Registered
350 Posts
They're actually identified by the ring gear size. 7.625" (S-10) 8.5" (full size truck and car 10 bolt) 8.875" (12 bolt) 9.5" (14 bolt semi floater) and 10.5" (14 bolt full floater. There is also an 11.5" version of the 14 bolt and an even heavier duty 13.5" ring gear diff...

The misnomer is strictly due to the number of cover bolts which obviously has nothing to do with anything. A D60 has 10 bolts too...:*******:

Rene

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've heard rumour that the '10,12,14' refers to ring gear bolts (but never bin confermed). True/False

·
Registered
536 Posts
you can run the gears from a comaro in the s10 it is a differant size but does work.i had an 83 s10 and put a iroc rear end in it cant remember exactly what i had too do.but if you need to know ask iwe rear ends ,thats who did mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts