BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a set of 33s was wondering about wider tires as winter tires. I was looking at a set of Big-O MTs but they only come in a 33x12.5. I was really looking more for a 9.5-10.5ish tire for winter driving. How are 12.5" Big-O MTs in the snow/ice? Would I be better off just going to Costco and getting narrower BFGs? I have been told that BFGs suck in the winter (especially if unsipped). Any opinions on which way to go?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go with the Big O's and have them siped. The MT will work well that way. Have you considered the XT? It is an awesome year round truck tire that still performs well in the mud.

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have Big O's XT tires and ya they are great tires,and the best warranty around.

------------------
--------------------------99 tj sahara teraflex 1.5"spring spacers,31x10.5 big o xt tires.edelbrock ias shocks,custom bumpers, dif skid plate and rock gaurds made by ME.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I ran 33in Big O MT's on my toy for a winter and they were fine, i had them siped down the center 2 lugs, why buy bfg?? they're made my michelin??

------------------
It's notugly, it's a beautiful work in progress, and yes the rust is supposed to be there!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think that you should stick with your original idea of a 9.5-10.5 wide tire.

I have 285's (+/-11.25") for summer and 235's for the winter (+/- 9.25"), the 2" makes a huge difference for daily winter driving. Skinny is better for winters except for really deep snow like that mog/blazer picture shows. Those fat tires float the rig on top of the snow, very cool but not likely the best choice for a PG'er. I don't know for sure but I think that those tires would have a hard time holding the road on hard compact snow/ice with any sort of speed.

My personal preference is to stick with skinny's for winter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
BFG IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO AND THEY DONT SUCK IN The winter

------------------
81 3/4 ton chevy w/ 7" susp lift & 3" body lift
NEW 35" mud-terrains, pro-comp off-road lights
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Registered
387 Posts
skinny=winter
wider=summer\mud\look cooler
the bfg 950 mt siped are the best tire you can buy for the winter. the 1050 are also a very nice tire that work well in all conditions! what ever tire you buy you MUST sipe them if you want good winter trackion

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by mudrunner:
skinny=winter
wider=summer\mud\look cooler
the bfg 950 mt siped are the best tire you can buy for the winter. the 1050 are also a very nice tire that work well in all conditions! what ever tire you buy you MUST sipe them if you want good winter trackion
I can only afford one set of tires that have to last me all year (summer and winter). I can tell you right now that the BFGs (even sipped) are NOT the best tires for winter that you can get. They are however the cheapest (this is the only reason that I am considering them!) decent MTs I can find so I was asking if they will do.

I know that sipping the BFGs will void what limited warranty they have, but I have been told that sipping the Big-Os will not affect the warranty. Is that true? If it is I think that the warranty would be worth the extra 30 or so bucks per tire.

G

·
Ya, I was told that siping them doesn't affect the warranty. I have the 31x10.5 MT on my Kick and I love em. It was the owner of Big-O in PoCo that was telling me about siping them.
My brother runs 33x12.5 on his F150, and he says that they are deadly in the snow. I know my 10.5's worked really well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
if you what cheep there is the kumho, baja, grabber, i think the bfg are one of the best all year round tire. sure there may be a couple tires better than the bfg in the winter but for year round price friendly with very good performance!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I never had a problem running 12.5 M/T's (not siped) in the winter, a little weight in the back helps a bunch if I was tooling around in the snow in 2wd. But even if it got slippery I would take the lead out of my boots and not wine the motor out so much. Kuhmo's aren't bad tires!

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
well I live in P.G. and run bfg mt 33 by 9.5 with the center lugs sniped. They are just like any other tire in winter, can't turn, can't stop, and they really do not like sheet ice. If I was to buy a tire I would buy the 12.5 wide because it floats better in the sand. It would suck driving in the winter but oh well. If intrested in seeing what they are like e-mail me and I can show you. Dennis

------------------
86 CJ7 4" lift 33" tires, rear powlock
and much more to come

·
Registered
453 Posts
You will never find a mud tire that works good on ice, unless it has full tread face siping, and extra studs drilled and set into it?? I say go with a cheap set of 12.5 marshal's, had them on my Toy and loved them, and then with the money you saved go buy a set of studded P235/75r15 extra load wintermark(fountain tire) radials and you'll be set. I run them in the winter and they rule, look ugly, but they work.

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
83 Posts
There's one tire that many don't look at for excellent traction, and that is the BFG Trac Edge. I'm extremely happy with these tires, and they all run on my trucks during the winter. I've tried quite a few different brands and found the Trac Edge to work well for me. Many of the Crew Cabs (loggers) are running them around here year round, and as a matter of fact, that is how I first discovered them. I definitely agree with Stihl and Mudrunner... pizza cutters for the winter. Consider looking at the Trac Edge tires. They are reasonable too.
Here's my take on tire warranty. To me it doesn't make any sense whether your tire has the best warranty or not. Most tires nowadays do come with a repair and or replacement guarantee. But for the price I pay to have that guarantee on the way too over inflated Big O's compared to a BFG or Cooper, etc... that warranty ain't gonna help me spit if that tire goes out on me 50 km's up a trail head. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I can't come to understand why I would pay so much more for a tire that doesn't really give me any more insurance over what I get on another brand.

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

·
Registered
412 Posts
12.5 wide tires absoutely suck in the snow, they float and have no traction at all. Skinny is the way to go. In the deep stuff unless it has a really hard crust the skinnys kick ass to. I got smoked by an open diff IFS with 9.5 AT's in about 18 inches of snow, he went way further than myself or the other guy with 35 swampers and dual arb's could. If you want an ice tire buy an artic alpin. I saw the light and bought a set ot 9.5's for winter.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yes the Big O has a better BUILT tire as well. The Bigfoot line of truck tires features two full width steel belts for much better punture resistance. The BFG (a good tire, just not a great tire) does not. The real reason BFG has 3ply sidewalls is to resist the toe wear on the tires because they only use a partial width belt. The tires are still built with the same construction as they were in the 70's!! that's why they have the same square sides like an old bias ply. And the warranty does not get you off the hill but it does save you from buying a new tire when you do get back to town. The BFG has NO road hazard warranty, the Big O has a FREE REPLACEMENT, NO QUESTIONS ASKED warranty. Can you really say it's not better?

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
71 Posts
12.5s are fine in the snow, just don't drive like a meat-head when you're on the highway and it'll be safe. If you get them siped it's even better. As for snow, just airing down will make a huge difference. I you go 4wheeling with 30 psi in your tires you won't get anywhere. If you let em down to 5 or less it makes a huge difference, especially in deep snow.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
387 Posts
i agree with the trac edge, they are an awsome tire for year round, every logger i have sold tires to always wants the trac edge super tough tire!!! as for the bfg's having no road hazard, you better beleive they do!! they would not still be on the market if they did not!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts