BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the 'big' differences between the SRW and DRW axles. If swapping to disks, is one much better than the other (hub wise)?? I believe the housings are the same, right?? And when was the swap to drum over hub (would it matter)??
Hopin for some 'quick' insight.
Thanx.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From what I have observed........ housings are the same except for the spring pad spacing, the DRW hubs have more " setback " than the SRW hubs ( making the flange to flange narrower ) the axle shafts are the same,there were at least three different styles of drum brakes used on the FF14 bolt, AFAIK they all pressed through the backside of the hub ( wheel studs through the drums and then into the hub......... adapting disk brakes to the SRW version is easier because you can purchase the brackets from a few suppliers ( ORU, West texas Offroad, etc... )

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are the hubs the same, and the backing plate mounts moved farther back(in)?? or the hubs are different too? I know the mounts are different, I'm hoping the hubs are thew same.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
For 73-87 C/K trucks (to '91 for Crewcab & Burb) with 14bFF rear end the following are true...

DRW hubs and SRW hubs are different.

DRW and 1-ton SRW backing plates are the same.

DRW and SRW drums are different.

DRW and 1-ton SRW use the same brake shoes (3-5/8" wide)

DRW and SRW axle shafts are the same.

DRW and SRW housings have the square flange for the backing plates in different places.

1-ton SRW and 3/4-ton have the square flange for the backing plates in the same place.

DRW and 1-ton SRW housings have the shock mounts and spring pads in the same places.

1-ton and 3/4-ton housings have the shock mounts and spring pads in different places.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
strong_like_tractor said:
It's my understanding that c&c 14bolts are 69WMS-WMS and that pick-up axles are wider.

JP
Nope. Single wheel axles are 69.5" and the C&C versions are about 63".

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far this is what I've got
Dually = 62-63"
Single = 67"
Vans are wider yet.
not sure of the cab&chassis tho.
Are all the housings equal?

I do know that the axles are swappable fron single to dual.
Ahhhh....to many variables:(

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anthonyh said:
No, all duallys are not 63", just the C&C version. What width are you after?
Is this because of a difference in housings, or a difference in hubs??

·
Registered
13 Posts
C&C and SRW axles use the same length housings, just different hubs and backing plate locations. I am not sure on the DRW axles. Why does all this matter, what are you trying to do???

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what are you trying to do???
Basicly Disks on a 14B. Wondering which hubs would make it easier.
A shorter WMS hub would put the disk (caliper mount) over the housing more. I don't want the 'spaced out' caliper mount. I guess real questions is.......
Would a caliper mount for a SRW 14B go straight down to the housing?? (I'm thinkin yes)
BTW I don't plan on mounting off the backing plate mount.
I don't have the 14B yet, but I don't wanna buy a 'parts' axle later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a few people sellin the brackets to do discs on the SRW axle, but none for the dual. I think TSM makes a kit but it's big $$$. Check here , on the first page there is a guy named shaker that sells the bolt on brackets with 4 sepearte spacers and on the second page there is a guy selling the bolt on brackets with a 1 solid spacer. These brackets all use the backing plate flange to mount to. If you are going to weld on some brackets then who cares what axle you get, you wont be using the backing plate flange anyways.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm runnin drums for now, swapping to disks later.
Trying to keep future options open so I don't screw myself later.
And from this (no brackets for duallys) I'm goin with SRW.
Make sence now??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts