BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to choose between a 70's F-150 and a 70's F-250 which would it be and why?

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
55 Posts
work truck or toy. if i had to choose only one than id prob favor the heavier duty of the two. thats not to say that i dont make my f150 work like an f350. but it is nice to have the reliability of stronger parts. would also depend alot on the condition of either truck. which is most likely to break the more expensive parts. which looks like its had the rougher life.
what ever you do, look behond the shiny paint and well hidden bondo and pay close attension to the drve train. any oil leaks? any rot or wet spots in the rad? dust for bearings in the front axle u joints? that alone is enough to make some want top sell there rig. if its a 4X, try lockin in the hubs. check for floor boards too. alot of older trucks dont have any.
grant

------------------
if you cant lift it, slam it

·
Registered
63 Posts
If its a late 70's go F250 if you can get one with a Dana 60 front axle high pinion its worth $2500 alone.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

·
Registered
76 Posts
it all depends on what ya want to do...some some people like coils for flex some like strength(f250) for durability...the 1/2 ton is plenty strong up to 35 inch tires, whereas the 3/4 ton is good up to 44's (with a front 60 that is)
then again you can put coils on a 3/4 ton dana 60 front too, anything is possible or make a leaf spring setup flex as good as a coil setup...my personal preference would be the f250/f350 as everything is alot stronger, but then again i like to run a 460 and 40 inch swampers :p

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 70 rear 60 front, 40 swampers<br>
ford message board-check it out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.