BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this isn't a 4x4, but a couple of friends of mine have just purchased a chevy camper which has a 1980 305 v8 in it... and it's currently getting really bad fuel economy, like 25l/100km (9.4 MPG), so we're trying to tune it up a little.

Yesterday we changed the spark plugs, leads, air filter, and PCV, but it sounds like we should get a pro to have a look at tuning the carby and making sure that everything is operating correctly, like the choke... which probably isn't switching.

So, anyone know a good chevy v8 tuner in the lower mainland area? They're based in Kits at the moment, but are currently planning a 4 month, 20,000km trip around North America, so aren't working. Also hence the efforts to do something about fuel economy ;)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jared

·
Registered
93 Posts
well first off, its a 1980 305 smoger engine, ditch the carb for a good rebuilt rochester or holley spreadbore with vacuum seconds and electric choke, replace the intake with an edelbrock, ditch the EGR, cats if it has any still, run dual exhaust and do a compression test. Should get your power and economy back. Also chances are if i serve right it would have the TH350/400 trans if it is an auto wich is only a 3 speed with drive being a 1:1 ratio and possibly 4.11 gearing in the rear diff. Which will also kill the fuel economy.

And use AC Delco plugs, dunno why but small block chevies run the best on those.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info, thanks gents!

It's a TH400 under there, so that's not going to help unfortunately...

Only problem is that we've reached the maximum of what we can do to it out on the street (no workshop), so would you know of a good workshop that would be reasonably experienced with this sort of drivetrain and be able to get a bit better fuel economy out of it? Keep in mind that it's a camper, not a quarter mile champion ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
well I think you ahve reached the limit of what that little 305 is cabable of with out a referbishing. Any decient shop with experainced people should be able to work on it. the set is pretty common. So find a shopw with guys that have been at it a while and know few things not some tech college grad that only knows DTCs and computers. It needs finessing not soft ware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.