BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 Jeep Comanche with a 4.5" lift kit. I'm getting new springs for the back because mine are broken so while im doing that I want to make it spring over axle to get more height. My question is where about's does the u-bolt plate attached to the shock relocate to? Under or over the axel? Also how many inches does does it raise? and will coil spacers be good enough for the front?

please help and pictures of ppls set-ups for SOA would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
This is a SOA lift with 33's. I made 5.5" spacer up front and welded/gusseted to unibody, so I guess it gives you about 5.5" of lift. I think I just swapped the ubolt plate side for side to make the shocks work. Your going to have to measure ride height to order your shocks. I also made the new spring perches extra long to help combat axle wrap.
I don't think you want to have 9.5" of lift, do you? There is a lot of sheet metal to cut out if you want to run bigger tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a SOA lift with 33's. I made 5.5" spacer up front and welded/gusseted to unibody, so I guess it gives you about 5.5" of lift. I think I just swapped the ubolt plate side for side to make the shocks work. Your going to have to measure ride height to order your shocks. I also made the new spring perches extra long to help combat axle wrap.
I don't think you want to have 9.5" of lift, do you? There is a lot of sheet metal to cut out if you want to run bigger tires.

Will I have to get a bigger front and rear drive shaft if I do so, or will I be able to get by with tilting my diff?....
And will I have to get a lowered Pitman Arm?(Already have adjustable track bar)
I am still going to run with 33X10.50R15 Toyo M/T, so I wont have to cut any sheet metal....
I figured if its cheap I mine as well do the SOA & coil spacers in the front, since I am already replacing the leaf springs +I get more height:).

Open to sugestions!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If your sticking to the same tires then why go taller? Doesn't make any sense, 5" is a lot. After this stage I added 4.5" TJ coils and built the rear to match with custom springs, so I'm at about 10" of lift, and with fender trimming I can fit 42's.

Are you planning on replacing your lift with a soa and spacer or adding them together?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your sticking to the same tires then why go taller? Doesn't make any sense, 5" is a lot. After this stage I added 4.5" TJ coils and built the rear to match with custom springs, so I'm at about 10" of lift, and with fender trimming I can fit 42's.

Are you planning on replacing your lift with a soa and spacer or adding them together?
I am planning to just add them together. I might go bigger tires, who knows?....plus i dont want the underneith of my box hitting anymore.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I am planning to just add them together. I might go bigger tires, who knows?....plus i dont want the underneith of my box hitting anymore.
Going to be way too much lift. This will cause you lots of problems needing lots of money to fix and you wont have a very street friendly ride. I don't recomend it or think you really want to do this.

But what do I know, I'm not you.

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If you really want to improve it and can fabricate (your going to need some welding done to SOA) put some 3/4 ton dodge leafs in the rear and SOA. They are 3" wide instead of the stock 2.5, they are longer and ride/flex real good. 4" X .25 wall HSS works perfect for the front hangers, then you build your shackle for the rear, see how it sits then make the front match with lift coils. If you want I can probably find some pics of this from when I did mine.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
OK, here is how I did it. As it sits right now, with two of the shorter leafs removed, they are 63.75" long. I plated the unibody with 3/16, so welding new brackets to it was easy and strong. I ran a tube across the back to stiffen the rear shackles as I had to drop them to get the height I needed.

This was real easy, and like I said 4x4x.25" HSS has the perfect inside dimensions for the Dodge bushings. these springs are from a 2006 3/4ton Power Wagon. I like these springs because they have two centre bolts insted of one. Way beefier IMHO.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have 1986 comanche and want to do soa in rear and keep it cheap in the front. What do I need to do to make the 5.5" spacer like you did and would I need anything else. Any help would be appreciated thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.