BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas

I have a 1990 Hilux 4x4 Extra Cab 3.0L I have about 265,000 K on it . How many Kilometers do you get on the engines before you start having head gasket problems with them. I know they are the downfall of those engines. Mine leaks a little oil from the valve covers but that's about it so far.

Also looking for a place to get some used parts for it.

Thanks
OldHilux

·
Registered
53 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any specific milage for head gasket failure. Mine went at under 100 000 km and again at 350 000.
Some of these motors never develop the problem so it is a wait and see if or when it happens.
Keeping the cooling system in good condition to avoid overheating should help with head gasket lifespan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There doesn't seem to be any specific milage for head gasket failure. Mine went at under 100 000 km and again at 350 000.
Some of these motors never develop the problem so it is a wait and see if or when it happens.
Keeping the cooling system in good condition to avoid overheating should help with head gasket lifespan.
Ok Thanks for your reply Ken !

I think I read somewhere that you should use OEM Factory coolant and to be specific it is a certain colour. Have you heard this ?
Thanks
OldHilux

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is true! My buddy's truck had to replace the head gasket after only about 40k miles. He's dealing with the overheating issues as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts