BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple questions (not really 4x4 related) about a fairly new to me 94 GMC 2500 with 350, 4L80E (I think).

I'm getting about 15.5 mpg on a run from Kelowna to Vancouver and back. ~120kph on the Coquihalla. I expected better. This was after putting in a K&N filter (not the whole intake thing) new platinum plugs, 8mm MSD wires. I'm running 4.10's and stock sized Yokohama Geolander A/T's, empty box. Plus, I could do only 90 kph up from the snowshed.

Anyone with a similar truck have any insight into whether this meets expectations or could I do better. I was a bit disappointed in the performance/mileage but I may be out to lunch.

As well, what other small buck upgrades could help the mileage?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I got 12mpg (best ever!) on the same trip with my '91 crewcab. TBI 350, 4.10's, 4-spd manual tho, and 33's at 3100rpm (average). Truck weighs a hefty 7000lbs. No K&N. Stock plug wires. New clutch. Just dual exhaust on old style ram's horn exhaust manifolds

Had to put it into 3rd for the snowshed... pretty hurtin' - was racing a beater Dodge Dart - must have been the slant 6. He passed me on the hill :(

I think your mileage is good - compared to mine anyways! Unfortunately, I think your figures are pretty typical.

Its time we both packed 'er in and got diesels, eh?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a hoot. I was racing my buddy in a 77 Volare with a slant 6. I stayed ahead of him but not by much.

But won't be buying a diesel soon either. This truck is my daily driver and I drive 10 km a day (5 k each way to work). That would cause a diesel too much trouble.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My 94 1/2 ton had similar mileage. Things to try to improve milage are run tire pressures at max say 50 psi and most important loose the tailgate or cover the box (it makes a big difference). Best mileage trick is to draft 18 wheelers that are going fast (saves on speeding tickets too). Also turn off the A/C that should help a bit too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts