BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 843 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a few Trekkers a while back .. and now have started my own .

this one is going to be a "some what" stock restoration .. but with a few "extras" .

so here's where I'm starting .

don't mind the dust .. it's been sitting inside my shop for a while now .

there is one small rust hole on The right side .. front spring hanger , inside box steel .. you can see it in the pic .. it's so minor , I'm just going to weld in a patch .

so a little work today ... got onto the frame repair .

got the little plates/patches welded in .. It really wasnt that bad at all , the main / worse dammage was from me hitting with a hammer it trying to find the rust .. I really didnt see any point in doing "fish plates" .. as there (in my opinion) was NO structural strength loss . Other side is perfect .

and done ..

also started "prepping" the frame for the POR-15 treatment.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Your build are always interesting to read.
I have always wanted to see a Trekker build.
To bad there are no more Trekkers around!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your build are always interesting to read.
I have always wanted to see a Trekker build.
To bad there are no more Trekkers around!
I "think" I'm going to build some trekker moulds .. so now you 2 could own a Trekker :)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so , now that the "LONG box" Trekker is gone , I can now start building mine ..

I bought a "parts truck" a while back .. for a couple of reasons .. I needed a long box frame for the dimentions of the long box Trekker .. I needed a front clip .. I needed lots of small parts and pieces for my trekker build , so I bought a whole truck .

so Yesterday .. I started to tear it apart .

box had been removed previously , and I had cut a hole in the back of the cab for the "long box Trekker" I built ...
Now that that project is all done (for me anyway) It was time to get to work on my project .

I sold the long box frame .. and I need alot of the pieces for my trekker .. so time to strip it .
lots of work yesterday , cut the roof off , and rockers , and cab corners .. I'm going to make some replacements :) so i wanted to keep them . got the engine bay mostly stripped , and engine out .

and here is where I started this morning ..

and finally the cab off ..

frame stripped ..

and diffs ready to build .

and finally my front clip .

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so time for the front diff

got the hubs , calipers , .. basically down to the axles .

man !! I hate this cleaning stuff ... but almost done .

this is before .. and you all know how the knuckles , and everything is .. coated!!!

so knuckles , shields and mostly everything else are clean ...

hopefully tomorrow .. I will get some "black" on them

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so a little side note ...

I decided to go with the 5V-zfe engine .. I have been talking with Darin @ whitevalley collision and salvage sales , and he has ALL the parts and pieces I might need .. ORDERED .

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lookin good!

What are your thoughts on using the POR-15? I'm wanting to try that stuff out on a few areas of my 4Runner, but it seems theres a lot of mixed reviews as to how well it works.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like it ... obviously .

I have used it a few times now , with excellent results . first frame I did , 5 years ago , and it's still looks like I just did it ..

you just need to read the directions , and do it right , and you'll have no problems .

now the diff and pieces have curred , it's tough as nails .. I was cleaning up some of the gasket surfaces that I over painted , and had a tough time getting it off , this was before it was fully cured . I also knocked one of the pieces off the shelf onto the concrete , and not even a bruse , wiped it off , and no chips , nothing , you couldnt even tell . Personally , I would compare it to powder coating .. just not as "smooth" of finish .

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOLVERINE . maybe ? I'm not sure , but as far as I know , it was a steel bed with a fiber top , like the trailblazer .. but never thought they were longbox . I duno ? might just be one of those " custom conversions"

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you plan to document the 5vz swap at all? Would be interesting to see how you wire it into the early cab harness etc. What year is the new engine?

yes of course ...
engine is from a 2000 4runner .. I got the VIN # , and checked the dealership for a service history .. lets just say , it was VERY well maintained .

I'm stoked .

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so , chatted with Darin (whitevalley collision and salvage sales) yesterday.

I had some concerns , and he stepped up to the plate , and assured me , he had everything I needed .

the list grows

3.4L engine 80K (complete)
all switches , sensors , air tubes ... everything
MTM computer
MTM wire harness including body harness
dash guages (dont know if I need them yet)
fuel tank , pump , and sender
R150 MTM and Transfer
flywheel

I think thats it ?

also

the duel diaphram booster
Large bore master cylinder
V6 ifs calipers

If all goes well , I should have it here Next week or so . :)

1 - 20 of 843 Posts