BC 4x4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 843 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
so .. Darin .. stepped up to the plate today ... and included the O2's , crossover , and cats ..

this is as far as I know the first 3.4L in to a Trekker (or 1st gen ) I know of ????

amazing help from Darin.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
so started the "clean up" today .. only a couple of hours , but got it ready to assemble tomorrow .

here is where I started ..

got it all torn apart , and the old rotor off ..

New vented rotor

and everything cleaned , painted .. and cleared .

now ready to assemble .

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm going to watch this thread just cuz it's fun to see the time someone else puts into something. Good job guy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
so will you have to use spacers on your front wheels to clear the calipers now? Just asking because I rebuilding a 85 front toyota axle for my sammy and I was told that if I go with vented rotos and 86-95 calipers that I will need wheel spacers.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i thought you were going to get rid of the surface cancer and coat that frame?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
yep I still am ...

this is only the "mock up"

I can't "do the frame" untill all the welding is done .. I will need to make a new transfer mount , engine mounts , fuel tank mounts .. and probabally other stuff , so ....

once I complete these mods , I will then "blow it apart" and "por-15" the frame .

·
Registered
752 Posts
ok, just making sure you aren't half-assing this :p lol

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
so lookey what I did today :)

stuffed the rear springs and diff back on .. didnt get it por-15'd yet .. but that'll come later ... and yes , those are blocks .. for now .

I needed my jack stands , so I made some little wood blocks .. for everything to sit on .. I guess I did pretty good on them , kuz , it's perfectly level

moved the front diff over , and got it mounted as well ..

same thing .. I still need to "detail" but for now , I have other stuff to do .

grabbed my "cherry picker" .. and decided to see just how close the engine is to fitting on the stock mounts ...

it sorta fits , but new motor mountd are definatly called for .. the right side actually "sortta fit" ... I was able to get one bolt in , and over 1/2 the hole is showing on the second bolt ..

I'm going to "re-do " both sides .

it's comming :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
sorry dude, just checked email

Looking slick, nice to see progress. I hate subscribing to dead-end builds lol.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
ok so a little bit more today .. thank hevens , a weekend is comming , :p but I really want to get the engine secured and up off of the floor .

so .. yanked it off again , and started to work on cutting the stock mounts off .

and finally both sides cut off .

started to "open up" the motor mount side , mounts a bit .. as i'm using the original top side of the frame mounts . They are just a "hair" off , so they need to be enlarged .

and finally (for today)
I decided to put on the front clip , and strip it , so I will be able to check for clearances ..

so far .. firewall looks good .. I dont even think I will have any "modifications" .. but , I duno just yet , just acording to my measurements "knock on wood" :)
one thing I did notice though .. I think the engine is going to sit up very high .. like 5" or so .. not shure yet what i think about that ?

more tomorrow .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Question about POR-15 and frames. I have used POR-15 before and I am using it on a current project as well (for small parts). I considered using it on the frame but I am not sure how to get really good coverage inside the frame rails and other hard to reach areas and how to get multiple coats in there as well? How have you dealt with that on previous frames?

Excellent work so far on the build!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i could cut out the motor mounts gas tank mount and extras off that 96 runner frame no charge if you wanted . the frame is junk anyway. projects looking good.

21 - 40 of 843 Posts