BC 4x4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 843 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
ok .. so its not going to be as "easy" as I first thought :mad: ..
original mounts wont work ...

got the front all degreased , and cleaned and stripped

got the engine in , and leveled .. and figured this is where I wanted it .
I left some room between the alt , and the frame .. and also I was hoping to use the original motor mounts .

got the front clip on ......

NO way .. I cant have it sitting this high .. it's about 1' above the original hood line ..

so , time to start stripping the motor a bit , so I can get it down a bit .. I also think it's inevetable , I am going to have to use a body lift :( ..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
so , time to start stripping the motor a bit , so I can get it down a bit .. I also think it's inevetable , I am going to have to use a body lift :( ..

Right on!!!! Time for some 37's :*******

Looks good slacker, hope to start my 3.4 swap soon, but I've got to fix the floor first, or I'll never get it done.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
ok .. so took a " step back" today , and had a look at "things"

remove a bunch of "extra accessories" I wont be using ..

I went over to a buddies place (83LB) , and had a look at his /83 .. and did some measuring (I dont have a complete truck)

I found basically the engines are the same length , but the 3.4 is wider , and taller .

so I did some more "mocking up" and I think I have it now .. :)

so with the crossover on the passenger side .. it actually hits the frame .. it also would interfere with the slave cylinder , and clutch fork , so It MUST be modified .

using the crossover pipe means , I cant use a rad . ORS wants $370.00 + a core charge on the flanges for a crossover pipe .. Downey wants $395.00 for a set of chrome headers .

I have a feeling I'm going with the Downey headers . ??

ok ... so .. now with the crossover removed and the a/c compresser .. I can now get the engine where it should be , or where I want it .
>>> the stick indicates the firewall <<<

>>> the stick indicates the hood line <<<

and finally .... fan and rad .. :)

I still have a bit of room at the back , so I will move it back a little further .. + I know a guy at a fiberglass shop ( :D ) that can build a custom hood .. and NO BODY LIFT REQUIRED .

I think I will be using the original upper mounts , and build some lowers .. not sure on the isolator yet ..

also at this height .. there seems to be lots of clearance on the oil pan .. I'm using the stock "push/pull steering" .. but if I were to go to crossover , I would need to change out the oil pan for sure ..

back to work !

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks ..

Yep .. I have had great success with the POR .

I have a "shutz" gun ... with a flexable , 360* rotating ,Vnotched wand ... works awesome .
I would like to see some details of the wand. I have a "shutz" gun that I am willing to modify for this. Do you do muliple coats? How many? How do you prep the hard to reach areas? I worry about getting it clean enough.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'll get some pics of my "gun" and hardware .. if you want ?? .. but really , it's not hard to find .. what more can I say ?

cleaning is all in the hands of the beholder .. just do your best I guess ..

I sometimes get in there with a little wire brush .. maybe even a Q-tip .. just depends on what you want for the final product ? ..

My phylosify (shop policy) ... do it right the first time .
second time cost much more !

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hey, couldn't make it over today, sorry, family stuff. So if you are wanting everyone to buy fiberglass stuff from you , where are you going to find the time to work on your own stuff????:laugh

Make sure when you get the downey headers, you get them withOUT the egr bungs. If you don't you'll have to cut them off and patch your brand new shiny headers with some non-bling welding job. The egr bung hits the steering shaft. Read it last night somewhere else.

·
Registered
752 Posts
do you have a completion date in your head?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
A date in mind and a real completion day are like not even the same:laugh

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
ok ... so heres the problem i'm having :-/
everytime I work on this project .. I get so far .. and I have to take it down

I have the engine "dangling" from my cherry picker ... and this is not good !

every time I go to do some work on it , I have to change the shop around to accomadate the cherry picker .. and there go my measurements ..
brain fart put it on an engine stand ... hello ???

SO .. I got another engine stand , and .......

were almost ready to go .

got an engine stand .. setting it up .. and almost ready for some engine mounts .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey, couldn't make it over today, sorry, family stuff. So if you are wanting everyone to buy fiberglass stuff from you , where are you going to find the time to work on your own stuff????:laugh

Make sure when you get the downey headers, you get them withOUT the egr bungs. If you don't you'll have to cut them off and patch your brand new shiny headers with some non-bling welding job. The egr bung hits the steering shaft. Read it last night somewhere else.
I have already ordered some non returnable doug thorley headers for a 3.0 v6. I go the most expensive non chrome ones. do you know if they have issues?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
so started working on the motor mounts .

after weeks of shopping , and 1/2 as$ looking around , I finally found the mounts I want ..

They are just perfect ... and exactly what i have been looking for .
They fit the original mounts ..

and "hang" exactly where I want .

I started on the frame side mounts , but had an issue with the press . ... so I had to stop here .

What I have , are the 20r,22r& re engine mounts ...................

I cut them to fit the angle of the frame , and the angle of the mounts ... ( paper cut-outs & tape)

I'm making a frame bridal/bridge now and got them all cut out .. and ---- no press ...

so had to stop there . untill I can fix it ....

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
so ..

heres what we got so far .. I intend to add some gussets when i remove the engine to do the frame , but here's the "jist" of it .

also got a little delivery today .. :)
My NEW rad .. turbo 3row .

Fan is also ordered ..
Maradyne 16" excellent flow .. should work great .

41 - 60 of 843 Posts