BC 4x4 Forums banner

1st one sold.. so, this ones mine .. Trekker build

219K views 842 replies 94 participants last post by  slacker 
#1 ·
bought a few Trekkers a while back .. and now have started my own .

this one is going to be a "some what" stock restoration .. but with a few "extras" .

so here's where I'm starting .

don't mind the dust .. it's been sitting inside my shop for a while now .

there is one small rust hole on The right side .. front spring hanger , inside box steel .. you can see it in the pic .. it's so minor , I'm just going to weld in a patch .

so a little work today ... got onto the frame repair .

got the little plates/patches welded in .. It really wasnt that bad at all , the main / worse dammage was from me hitting with a hammer it trying to find the rust .. I really didnt see any point in doing "fish plates" .. as there (in my opinion) was NO structural strength loss . Other side is perfect .

and done ..

also started "prepping" the frame for the POR-15 treatment.

See less See more
#30 ·
i thought you were going to get rid of the surface cancer and coat that frame?

#31 ·
yep I still am ...

this is only the "mock up"

I can't "do the frame" untill all the welding is done .. I will need to make a new transfer mount , engine mounts , fuel tank mounts .. and probabally other stuff , so ....

once I complete these mods , I will then "blow it apart" and "por-15" the frame .

#32 ·
ok, just making sure you aren't half-assing this :p lol

#34 ·
so lookey what I did today :)

stuffed the rear springs and diff back on .. didnt get it por-15'd yet .. but that'll come later ... and yes , those are blocks .. for now .

I needed my jack stands , so I made some little wood blocks .. for everything to sit on .. I guess I did pretty good on them , kuz , it's perfectly level

moved the front diff over , and got it mounted as well ..

same thing .. I still need to "detail" but for now , I have other stuff to do .

grabbed my "cherry picker" .. and decided to see just how close the engine is to fitting on the stock mounts ...

it sorta fits , but new motor mountd are definatly called for .. the right side actually "sortta fit" ... I was able to get one bolt in , and over 1/2 the hole is showing on the second bolt ..

I'm going to "re-do " both sides .

it's comming :)

#36 ·
sorry dude, just checked email

Looking slick, nice to see progress. I hate subscribing to dead-end builds lol.

#37 ·
ok so a little bit more today .. thank hevens , a weekend is comming , :p but I really want to get the engine secured and up off of the floor .

so .. yanked it off again , and started to work on cutting the stock mounts off .

and finally both sides cut off .

started to "open up" the motor mount side , mounts a bit .. as i'm using the original top side of the frame mounts . They are just a "hair" off , so they need to be enlarged .

and finally (for today)
I decided to put on the front clip , and strip it , so I will be able to check for clearances ..

so far .. firewall looks good .. I dont even think I will have any "modifications" .. but , I duno just yet , just acording to my measurements "knock on wood" :)
one thing I did notice though .. I think the engine is going to sit up very high .. like 5" or so .. not shure yet what i think about that ?

more tomorrow .

#38 ·
Question about POR-15 and frames. I have used POR-15 before and I am using it on a current project as well (for small parts). I considered using it on the frame but I am not sure how to get really good coverage inside the frame rails and other hard to reach areas and how to get multiple coats in there as well? How have you dealt with that on previous frames?

Excellent work so far on the build!

#42 ·
ok .. so its not going to be as "easy" as I first thought :mad: ..
original mounts wont work ...

got the front all degreased , and cleaned and stripped

got the engine in , and leveled .. and figured this is where I wanted it .
I left some room between the alt , and the frame .. and also I was hoping to use the original motor mounts .

got the front clip on ......

NO way .. I cant have it sitting this high .. it's about 1' above the original hood line ..

so , time to start stripping the motor a bit , so I can get it down a bit .. I also think it's inevetable , I am going to have to use a body lift :( ..

#43 ·
so , time to start stripping the motor a bit , so I can get it down a bit .. I also think it's inevetable , I am going to have to use a body lift :( ..

Right on!!!! Time for some 37's :*******

Looks good slacker, hope to start my 3.4 swap soon, but I've got to fix the floor first, or I'll never get it done.

#44 ·
ok .. so took a " step back" today , and had a look at "things"

remove a bunch of "extra accessories" I wont be using ..

I went over to a buddies place (83LB) , and had a look at his /83 .. and did some measuring (I dont have a complete truck)

I found basically the engines are the same length , but the 3.4 is wider , and taller .

so I did some more "mocking up" and I think I have it now .. :)

so with the crossover on the passenger side .. it actually hits the frame .. it also would interfere with the slave cylinder , and clutch fork , so It MUST be modified .

using the crossover pipe means , I cant use a rad . ORS wants $370.00 + a core charge on the flanges for a crossover pipe .. Downey wants $395.00 for a set of chrome headers .

I have a feeling I'm going with the Downey headers . ??

ok ... so .. now with the crossover removed and the a/c compresser .. I can now get the engine where it should be , or where I want it .
>>> the stick indicates the firewall <<<

>>> the stick indicates the hood line <<<

and finally .... fan and rad .. :)

I still have a bit of room at the back , so I will move it back a little further .. + I know a guy at a fiberglass shop ( :D ) that can build a custom hood .. and NO BODY LIFT REQUIRED .

I think I will be using the original upper mounts , and build some lowers .. not sure on the isolator yet ..

also at this height .. there seems to be lots of clearance on the oil pan .. I'm using the stock "push/pull steering" .. but if I were to go to crossover , I would need to change out the oil pan for sure ..

back to work !

#47 ·
I'll get some pics of my "gun" and hardware .. if you want ?? .. but really , it's not hard to find .. what more can I say ?

cleaning is all in the hands of the beholder .. just do your best I guess ..

I sometimes get in there with a little wire brush .. maybe even a Q-tip .. just depends on what you want for the final product ? ..

My phylosify (shop policy) ... do it right the first time .
second time cost much more !

#48 ·
Hey, couldn't make it over today, sorry, family stuff. So if you are wanting everyone to buy fiberglass stuff from you , where are you going to find the time to work on your own stuff????:laugh

Make sure when you get the downey headers, you get them withOUT the egr bungs. If you don't you'll have to cut them off and patch your brand new shiny headers with some non-bling welding job. The egr bung hits the steering shaft. Read it last night somewhere else.

#51 ·
do you have a completion date in your head?

#54 ·
ok ... so heres the problem i'm having :-/
everytime I work on this project .. I get so far .. and I have to take it down

I have the engine "dangling" from my cherry picker ... and this is not good !

every time I go to do some work on it , I have to change the shop around to accomadate the cherry picker .. and there go my measurements ..
brain fart put it on an engine stand ... hello ???

SO .. I got another engine stand , and .......

were almost ready to go .

got an engine stand .. setting it up .. and almost ready for some engine mounts .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.