BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 Ranger with a 2300 that was recently rebuilt...i recieved a rebuilt shortblock and reinstalled everything else myself....at first I thought the timing was out...and it needed fine tuning...I took it to my mechanic to get scoped and tuned...ran great for about 10 minuts...then the same bullcrap...then I took it to Perfection auto in Port Kells and he did the same...and cleaned the egr out and so on...new plug in number 1....it ran gret for another 10 minutes...then i took it back..he told me it was the inconsistent carb...220$ later...it still ran like crap..NOW im told there is antifreeze damping the number 1 plug which woulkd make sense because the plug is WHITE on the electrode...I am thinkinbg a cracked head?....or I was also told that the intake manifold could be leaking, or could be cracked..I cant understand how on a 4 bang this could happen, does coolant run through the manifold...around it?...inside?....can someone help me..any suggestions??!?!?!?...sorry about all the writing.

RandyRanger..83 Ranger Money pit.

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Gotta admit, it's been a long time since I've had my hands on a Ford 4, so I can't remember off hand if there is any coolant in the manifold; I don't think so, but I could very easily be wrong.

However, a cracked head sure sounds like a possibility, especially with what you've described. (Check out the Bronco page on my site if you wanna see some of my experiences with cracked heads.) Since you had the engine apart for awhile, the head dried out. After you put it together, it took some time for it to warm up and build up enough pressure and time to get the water thru the crack and start spraying into the cylinder; that's why it ran okay for the first ten minutes or so.

Also, the head could be warped just a bit, and thus the head gasket didn't seal correctly, and it could also affect the intake manifold sealing surface, too. Since you've got a new block and the same problems, you can rule that entire section of things out of the equation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head was shaved about 30thou..and checked by the guys at Heads unlimited...He told me that my frist head was scrap so I found one from a wrecker from an 86 mustand 2300...but despite, I can just feel that it is a stupid son of a ***** crack in the head...Im, so choked beyond belief...so many man hours of blood sweat and tears..and smashing things in frustration...tommorow I am yanking aprt the mani to check for a clean line or clean port from the antifreeze...is there anything else I could look for when i yank it down?..any antifreeze-related happenings?......

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If it's not the intake maybe you could put some sealant additive in coolant to see if that stops problem? You might buy some time and find a good running drop in instead of being forced into some ripoff repairs.
Maybe you'll get lucky and it will last a while? Cheap to try anyways.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
2.3 in latest buy and sell for $250.00 ad says aircared and runs excellent. www.buysell.com unser engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts