BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, here we go..... i want more power out of my jeep, but i dont want to swap engines.
i have removed the restrictor cone on the intake tube just above the air filter, and it made a difference, but not nearly enough.
i have also heard that swapping the throtle body of a 4.0 will help, does it and what kind of price am i looking at???
does anyone have some more power tips and tricks up their sleeves???? and if so, wanna help me out?

i know im asking for a lot, but i also think that it can be done.
i'm running 30 inch tires, detroit lockers, 3 inch body lift, warnwinch cb radio, an awesome stereo and have an alarmsystem to protect it all.

thats it for now, and keep em jeepin

·
Registered
158 Posts
The biggest helper is going to be a set of gears. That is where you will get the biggest power increase. Other than that you can add a cat-back system, Cold air intake or K&N, jet chips, smaller tires. All these will help a little with the power issue. I know how you feel, I too have the 2.5L with a Flowmaster cat-back, and CAI pushing 33's. I'm probably going to be putting in 4.88 gears in the diffs by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the tips, anyone know if there are jet chips for a 95 2.5 liter and where to get one in bc, and maybe even a price.

plus any more performance tricks for the engine, anyone?????
:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think Jet makes a chip for the 2.5 (I could be wrong :confused2 ).

The 4.0 TB does make a difference as does a throttle body spacer. Look at plugs/wires/coil and maybe an MSD ignition as well, but the biggest bang for the bucks will be gears. Keep in mind that if you start adding more on the intake, you have to be able to get it out through the exhaust, so a decent Flowmaster muffler or Borla kit will help.

I'm running 33x14.5 Mickey Thompson's on 10" rims and have no problem maintaining 110-120 on the highway (unless there's a heavy headwind or REALLY steep hill) with stock 4.11's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
4.0L throttle body helps allot on the hills . It's not an "Oh my god feel the power " kind of mod though . Suger Ray is running it on a 93 - 2.5L w/ 33x12.5 tires and stock gears . For the $50 it cost from the wreckers and 15 min it took to put on , he seems to be very happy with it .

Ps . If you are mechanically inclined Shadbolt has a torque spec. cam for under a $100 for the 2.5L ..I think it was about $85 when I priced it out a while back .

PPs . Gears would help huge !!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ps . If you are mechanically inclined Shadbolt has a torque spec. cam for under a $100 for the 2.5L ..I think it was about $85 when I priced it out a while back

whats shadbolt????? yes i'd say im very mechanically inclined.
and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Shadbolt is a company that makes cams and rockers. :)

My vote would be for a set of gears. 4.88's are as low as you can go with your axles, I've been told (heresay) that they are a tad on the weak side due to small teeth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
so where can you get a shadbolt cam from is what 95jeepyj is asking, and so am i. $85 for a cam is a good price. want one for my 2.5

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If your determined to spend money on a 4cyl I'd get and inertia ring for it (see link below). The ring makes a big difference when you're tring to crawl over something but you probably won't notice much difference on the street unless you're luggin the motor a lot

Inertia Ring
http://www.tricountygear.com/4_cyl__only.htm

If you haven't found it already, Jeff's 4 Bangers United website has some good info on it too.
http://homepage.mac.com/jyokomura/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts