BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a lift in my bronco II with some nice fat tires and I was just wondering if anyone knows or has experience with a Bronco II with a 2.8L when it is lifted, does that little motor have enough power to roll some bigger tires??, I'm not talking like huge ass 44" tires but like some 33 inchers

------------------
84 bronce II, soon to be lifted, kick ass stereo.

·
Registered
898 Posts
After the long list of mods done to my 2.8, it has more than enough power to roll my 32/11.5's at speed. I don't have to shift out of overdrive until the rpms drop to about 400 or so, unless I need to accelerate quickly (which is when I downshift to third and punch it!). The 0-60 time is a bit better than at least one of those riced-out Honda Preludes on Kingsway, too

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had a 2.8 for a while and i have 32x10.5 and it had plenty of power to turn them but i would go no bigger.

------------------
84 Bronco II 302 ci. 3" body lift 4" suspension lift on 32" BFG MT's

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Wackston:
does that little motor have enough power to roll some bigger tires??
Everyone's idea of 'enough' is different. In stock form, it doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way on P195's. With some good mods, it should be a lot healthier, and reasonably pull 33's with 4.56+ gears. If you try to keep stock 3.08 gears you will be hurting big time, and your clutch will make a great signalling device, if you are into smoke signals.

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of mods did you have to do to the motor to make it pull decently??,

------------------
84 bronce II, soon to be lifted, kick ass stereo.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Wackston:
what kind of mods did you have to do to the motor to make it pull decently??,
That was a theoretical observation. I couldn't be bothered to even try working with the boat anchor.
Personally, I'm tossing it in the **** can for a 2.4L DOHC 4cyl. More power out of the box, and HUGE potential :) not to mention a good weight savings and more room for my other mods :) I already have a screaming V8 Ranger, so stellar performance isn't the main goal with the B2, just good packaging.
What most people do with a 2.8 is carb intake headers ignition for a major boost. a little head work can't hur either. Bluecoyote is happy with his, perhaps he can shed some light.

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts