BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw this new truck at the ipe in armstrong at the stampede, it is quieter than any other deisel out there! trust me i started it up and reved it a bit, it looks alot like the new 1/2 tons it is a full 4 doors and comes with 17" mags!!!! on a dually!?
WHAT A SWEET TRUCK!!!!!!!!! if i had the cash
any one else see this truck?
it has been on tour across canada for a month!

yes it is dodge.
yes it is cummins.
and yes it is quiet
just my thoughts on a new very sweet truck

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The real question here is how big, and how much power?

It's quiet...and that is a good thing how? Half the fun of them is the roar of the engine and the whirring up of the turbo.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I hear that in 2004 you'll be able to get a hemi in your truck, i think in chevs, not too sure i was just listening in to someones conversation as i was stalking them:mullet

:D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If it's a "hemi" it has to be a Daimler product as they patented that name, it could be somewhat of a hemi type design though. Anyway I think diesels will make a big come back in the next little while with gas prices going the way they are. In Europe they have silent diesels that pollute less than gasoline motors in lots of cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, Chrysler is bringing back the Hemi for another truck engine option. I want one in a TJ.

Corey

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yep the Hemi is back for the 2003 model year in the heavier 2500/3500 trucks - presumably restyled - to match the current 1500.

Its a 5.7L (oooo - tree-fitty!) with two spark plugs per cylinder. 345hp or something like that.

I bet they've dropped the V10 for now, but may return in a Hemi format.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your right the hemi is back, but it is the standard gas engine in the heavy duty. The v10 is still the optional gas motor. Also the new 5.9l high output diesel makes 305 hp and 555 lb-ft of torque at 1400 rpm. And you can still get the standard 5.9l cummings if you like them noisey.

Bye the way, i got this info off www.trucktrend.com under road tests/ first look.

Jamie

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think there is a V8 Cummins going in a Dodge. I don't think a V8 Cummins even exists. If Dodge did this they'd loose a ton of sales. Deisels are meant to be inline 6's and that is all.

Corey

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cummins did make a V8 a long time ago in some military trucks. There will be no Cummins V8 any time soon, only the straight six. Other available engines for 2003 will be the V10, and 5.7 Hemi. The Hemi will have cylinder deactivation in 2004 to up the fuel economy, and the 5.9 Cummins will get the EGR midway in 2004 (emissions reasons, expect gummed manifolds). These trucks will be on the lots in a few weeks. On the other side, Ford will be coming out with a new 6.0L Powerstroke to replace the 7.3 midway in 2003 model year, unfortunately the torque peak will be at 2000rpm (a few hundred higher rpm than the 7.3, and 600 higher than the Cummins) which is a step in the wrong direction if you tow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
strong_like_tractor said:
One nice thing about the new 6.0 Ford diesel is that it does away with HEUI fuel injection, and goes to an electronicly activated injection system.
JP
Goodbye to the #8 LL injector?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 8 cylinder diesel could be a mercedies diesel. I heard that they are putting them in the Heavy duty dodddddges. Comprable to the f450, f550, etc I think. . While cruising down the highway at 120 km the 7.3 psd is at 2100 rpm aprox. If the new 6.0 l has peek torque @ 2000 rpm, that would be the best spot for cruising the Cokahalla (spelling?) with a 20 000 lb trailer!! That is if they keep the same trany and dif ratios...

Just me 2 cents. Jay

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nope, no 8 cylinder diesels in a Dodge. Mercedes engines are not being used and Dodge has a contract with Cummins for another 6-8 years. Since most diesel engines have a flat torque plateau after peak I'd rather have the torque lower down to give a more usable rpm range. Once at speed 2000 rpm is fine, but having it lower down would help a lot starting from zero. Dodge is still not making anything to compete with the F450 or higher, but they are finally making a 1 ton single rear wheel option. BTW, just in case anyone heard, Ford does not own Cummins, never did.

Minesbigger33 said:
The 8 cylinder diesel could be a mercedies diesel. I heard that they are putting them in the Heavy duty dodddddges. Comprable to the f450, f550, etc I think. . While cruising down the highway at 120 km the 7.3 psd is at 2100 rpm aprox. If the new 6.0 l has peek torque @ 2000 rpm, that would be the best spot for cruising the Cokahalla (spelling?) with a 20 000 lb trailer!! That is if they keep the same trany and dif ratios...

Just me 2 cents. Jay

·
Registered
583 Posts
My sister's old Mercury Lynx had a hemi. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts