BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else heard information about the "Theta" platform (Saturn VUE) being used for the "next generation" platform for Trackers and Vitara's? :eek:

http://www.nancap.com/Todays news/July 2001/Camiplant.htm

I have found several articles saying "Theta" will be the replacement platform for Tracker and Vitara in 2004. (the Canadian Cami plant that currently builds Trackers and 4cyl Vitara's is apparently moving their whole production over to this platform)

No more "real Suzuki trucks" (body on frame) in North America in 2 years? I hope not. :confused2

Guess that petition to Suzuki to make a more off-road worthy vehicle fell on deaf ears...or they just did the opposite to spite us? :confused:

If you have heard anything about this from a reliable source, please add in on the conversation...

:canadian

·
Registered
296 Posts
except for fullsize trucks everything seems to be headin that way plus there's no getting away from computerized engines now too!!

G

·
Well I keep hearing rumors the next Wrangler will be IFS to better compete with the CR-V and RAV4 and sales are declining. :(

Suzuki isn't the only one.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If Jeep goes IFS, I will loose all respect. That is one of the few reasons I have left to respect the company.

Just incase changing the platform to something crappy wasn't enough, they are even taking awak 4wd! I can't say I blame them, they are doing it for sales...but it still sucks.

moving them to a fwd crossover platform

·
Registered
296 Posts
down the road

I,m as bad as the next guy when it comes to mods. But sometimes I think what's the point, just modify your ride to a certain point then maintain it. In five-10 years time is there even gonna be any aftermarket parts support for Samurai's ? I doubt it. So what's the point dumping a bunch of coin into it? Unfortunately it will probably be easier to get old fullsize truck stuff. I think the next thing I'll do is an older chev on propane. maybe i'm just a doom 'n gloom but......

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've met Anwar.... he interviewed me for a spot @ Orca Bay..... John (Is he still the sales manager there?) is a great guy as well.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
OK, I spoke with Anwar. He said he is aware of Suzuki's plans to update the Vitara line for 2004, but he never heard of any unibody plans. This does not mean that he knew for sure that there wouldn't be a unibody, however, he said he probably would've known if that was the case.
It is possible, that the Vitara and Tracker lins will go their seperate ways.

Casper, John was away for a while for health reasons. He is now back at Burnaby. Yes they're nice people.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Re: down the road

swamp monster said:
I,m as bad as the next guy when it comes to mods. But sometimes I think what's the point, just modify your ride to a certain point then maintain it. In five-10 years time is there even gonna be any aftermarket parts support for Samurai's ? I doubt it. So what's the point dumping a bunch of coin into it? Unfortunately it will probably be easier to get old fullsize truck stuff. I think the next thing I'll do is an older chev on propane. maybe i'm just a doom 'n gloom but......
I wouldn't be that negative about it. There are '60's Land Rovers in the lower mainland that see lots trail use. And those Land Rover guys can still buy any part they need for their rides. They might not be able to buy the parts at 8pm at Crappy Tire or Lordco, but they CAN get 'em within a day or two. An '80's Zuk should be good into the 2020's as long as the body and frame aren't cursed with rust.

Plus I'm sure the more enterprising among you will figure out a way to import some used Sierras from overseas.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep, its true. Cami is switching to the theta platform, and the new chevy will be called the mini traverse. That dosen't necessarily mean that the Japanese plant- where the bulk of 4 door and grand vitaras and xl-7's will stop shipping to North America. It would surprise me if Suzuki Canada stopped importing Japanese vehicles!!?? You may see both platforms run paralell in Suzuki showrooms.

As for availability of parts, I wouldn't worry too much- you can still by LJ parts and they haven't been around for 21 years.

IF? Jeep goes IFS? Haven't you seen the liberty? They are also going to be making a slightly smaller version of the liberty. I don't know if this is intended to be a replacement for the TJ.

I wish suzuki catered to the 4wheel crowds like Jeep does. That new TJ rubicon is enough to get me seriously thinking about them- factory 4:1 lowrange, factory air lockers, dana 44's front and rear-sounds like a pretty serious machine.
:confused2

·
Registered
109 Posts
MudKick said:
Have you guys seen a sticker shocker (price) on the Rubicon!?
It's not that expensive, low $30k CDN no?

These days that isn't that expensive for a new vehicle any more...

That being said, I can think of a couple dozen better ways to spend that kind of money.

[email protected]

·
Registered
229 Posts
30G ??? I would personally start looking at importing a left hand drive Jimny from over seas or maybe a vitara. Can you say coil sprung turbo diesel Jimny???? Now that would be pimpin.

Personally right now I wouldn't buy anything that is on a showroom floor right now anyways. There would be no way in hell I would spend that kind of coin on a new rig just to have to take it home and strip the ifs.

So I say let them switch the plant over, keep the urbanites happy. For a few extra bucks I will import something from overseas.

Does this all make sense??? Or am I wrong here??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tuner Inside said:
So I say let them switch the plant over, keep the urbanites happy. For a few extra bucks I will import something from overseas.

Does this all make sense??? Or am I wrong here??
I was looking into the import scene - got as far as looking at what is on the web - either External Affairs of Inducstry Canada or something, can't remember.

If the vehicle was never sold in the US you can't import it/ How's that for retarded.

I got discouraged after reading that and didn't follow it further. Probably easier to cobble something together from the vehicles already here.

[email protected]

·
Registered
303 Posts
Import 25, and crash test them all, then you can import and sell as many as you want. That's what MotoRex did to be North America's only Nissan Skyline dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not just crash test....the vehicle also has to meet all of the various Canadian vehicle regulations such as:
- Daytime Running Lights (a requirement in Canada but not US)
- Driver and Passenger side air bags
- Side impact beams
- Be equipped with approved emission control devices.
- Meet Canadian emissions standards for it's class of vehicle.
- Left side steering wheel (unless you get it rated as a delivery truck, garbage truck, street sweeper or other specialized vehicle that requires a right side steering wheel for safety reasons)
- (I'm sure there are a lot more too)

In order to sell a new vehicle in Canada, it has to not only pass the crash tests but all of the other regulations too. Unfortunately, the reason for many vehicles not being imported to Canada from around the world is they do not meet one or more of these regulations. Making changes to meet the regulations, and then going through setting up distribution is usually not financially viable to have the possibility of being part of a very small niche market...especially if it is supposed to be an inexpensive car...a $100k+ niche market car is probably worth it. (i.e. Lamborghini)

There are ways to get "used" cars imported legally though. I know of people who have legaly imported old Land Rovers from Around the world. I'm not exactly sure what needs to be done to "cut through the red tape", but I am sure it is a lot less expensive and less hassle than getting the vehicle approved for new sale in Canada and setting up a distributor company.

:canadian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts