BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother has an '06 dodge 2500 diesel that he needs to the rear u-joints in. i haven't seen it but says there is nylon "pin" holding the original joint in. he drilled that out and the joint still won't come out of the driveshaft.

i googled for info but can't find anything any info on how to do it.

i figure he just needs to hit it harder but he's scared of messing it up.

is there some kind of trick to this?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he ended up taking the driveshaft to a shop to get the joints on the driveshaft replaced.

i just finished helping him change a front u-joint. the unit bearin/hub took alot of work to get separated. hand to use sockets and extensions on the bolts combined with the power steering to get it to break loose.

i don't understand how a 4 year old truck with 150,000km needs every u-joint replaced. it's like dodge ran out of grease as his truck rolled down the assembly line.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2006 is under warranty if it's not a u.s. import...

u.s. import requires you to buy an extended warranty which ran out for him at about 70,000 miles, 2000 miles shy of needing a transmission rebuild after the ratching piece for "P" broke off and got sucked through the transmission. he was lucky to get covered on that one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
he ended up taking the driveshaft to a shop to get the joints on the driveshaft replaced.

i just finished helping him change a front u-joint. the unit bearin/hub took alot of work to get separated. hand to use sockets and extensions on the bolts combined with the power steering to get it to break loose.

i don't understand how a 4 year old truck with 150,000km needs every u-joint replaced. it's like dodge ran out of grease as his truck rolled down the assembly line.
I had all the U joints on my truck changed at 140. I drive a 3500 megacab diesel.

Im also going to be changing my ball joints in the front as mine are a bit loose/ sloppy. I will be changing them with the Carli suspension uppers and lowers however.

I had problems with teh solenoids in my tranny and had them changed about 1k km's ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.