·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 207 t-case from an 84 XJ. I of course paid nothing for
it, the previous owner could not even give it away when it was attached to
the AX-5.

We set it beside a 231 we had and it looks almost identical. My question is
what parts on it would be worth keeping as spares for my 231?
The tail cone looks identical (already needed one when I blew a rear
u-joint
and the d/s cracked the cone)
How about the chain? is the 207 chain the same as the 231?

Aside from saving the shared parts as spares, my reason for getting the
t-case was to use it as a learning tool by taking it apart.

I also have this little voice (Dan) saying that I should put the reduction part between my tranny and t-case...

Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
What reduction part do you mean? Do you mean to make your own crawl box out of the 205's gears? I'm confused.

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Wes Rempel said:
what parts on it would be worth keeping as spares for my 231?
not sure if you will need spares with 31s and open diffs but the best way to figure it out is to take them both apart and compare.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have the opportunity to take apart my 231 as it is my daily driver.
I was hoping someone had done this before and knew what was the same.

One does not need large tires and lockers to need spare parts. I do not have an SYE, so fluid loss is a possible cause. The chain is fairly reliable, but they go bad fast without fluid. It is nice to have spares. I also wheel with enough other Jeeps and other vehicles, that having spares comes in handy on the trail.

Wes

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
different but similar

Go to the library. I know it's one of things you'd thought you'd never have to do again but it works. The Van Public library (at library square -- downtown) has a ton of Jeep manuals (Chilton as I recall had the info I'm talking about). The one manual has exploded views of ALL of the t-cases Jeep ever used. You can compare a lot of the internals this way to get an idea if they are even close.

The other thing you can do is find some one who has a busted NP 231 laying around (or even just the parts) and compare. One of the "Dans" I believe has one...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think the input gears might be swapable other than that it's probably a waste of time and resources.

If you break a 231, which I doubt you will, you should just upgrade it with the slip yoke eliminator with heavy duty mainshaft. The chain is strong and you should hear it making a lot of noise as it stretches over time before it breaks.

My philosophy on wheelin is that if it's broken, worn out & you have to spend money on it you might as well save a little more and upgrade it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts