BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could take the intake off a 22r and then put feul injection in it's place.?

Is it the same engine?

Or if I could just stink on anew head or bla bla bla,

Can some one just help me?

------------------
Hey! If it's broke put more money into it, it may not have worked last time, but it should now!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Leusca:
I was wondering if I could take the intake off a 22r and then put feul injection in it's place.?

Is it the same engine?

Or if I could just stink on anew head or bla bla bla,

Can some one just help me?

i was wonderin the same thing a short while ago, unfortunately it is not that simple. it is quite a big job actually. pirate4x4.com in the toyota section, they explain how to do it, it would be easier just to either buy a complete fuel injected motor, and do the computer/electrical change-over, or just stick with carb.

·
Registered
453 Posts
my friend just swapped a 22re onto his 22r block and it's running good???? not really anything to it, used a head gasket from a 22re i think??

------------------
1985 K5 Blazer Fully Stock even gay 235r15 tires. On the way 4in susp 3in body 35's extensive engine build up and new camo paint

·
Registered
297 Posts
Depends on what year of 22R you are trying to convert. Any 22R/22RE 85 and up are going to be the same except for minor cam differances between the EFI and Carbed motors. The EFI intake will bolt right up to it. some 84 and late 83 heads had dual bolt pattern that will accept late model intakes as well as 83 and 84 manifolds. You will need the Distributor, EFI Fuel Tank and pump as well as all of the wiring, manifolds and sensors to make this happen as well.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
ahh the good old 22re swap....just finishing mine

yes you can just swap the heads and intake/exhaust, but you will also need all the wiring from under the hood and under the dash, the fuel pump and tank, ignitor/coil, mass airflow sensor, all those relays and if your just swapping heads you'll need to find the fuel lines that come from the firewall to the filter to the fuel rail.
from there its just a bit of splicing (the ignition wires must be connected)and turning the key
i would reccomend using the entire 22re block, beleive me you will have enough problems as it is.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

G

·
Wow, makes me feel good that I have EFI already.

Dan, Have u looked into the aftermarket? Doesnt Holley or Edelbrock make an EFI conversion kit for 4 cyl motors?

Jes a thought

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to forgo the swap idea and leave the rebuilt in the '85. Instead I am geting a 22re that has been bored .020 over with a rv cam. I looked into the whole swap and decided that it was a headache trying to set it all up with a mechanic and that it was a grand task for the mechanic. It turned out cheaper for me just to get the engine. But thanks for all the input.

------------------
Hey! If it's broke put more money into it, it may not have worked last time, but it should now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts