BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1987 22r is running way too rich, so I checked the float level through the little glass window and discovered that it is way too high. My Haynes manual doesn't say if or how to adjust it, or the adjust the air/fuel mixture. Any suggestions??

Mike.

http://www.geocities.com/vdubster1/

·
Registered
63 Posts
bend the float arm.

------------------
Hard work often pays off after time, but lazyness always pays off now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the sight glass indicate a too-high fuel level in the carb? If so, yes, take off the top of the carb and slightly bend the appropriate tab(s) on the float arm. This may take a couple trials and errors. My Hygrade rebuild kit included some specs on this, but it still comes down to careful T & E.

Another factor in running rich: I have read that modern gasolines are much more volatile in cold temps than they used to be. So, you need to set the choke to let in more air than it originally did. I have made this adjustment on my '79 and it does start and idle better in N WI winter temps, probably causing less pollution and giving better gas mileage as well. You might see some benefit from leaning out the choke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the sight glass indicate a too-high fuel level in the carb? If so, yes, take off the top of the carb and slightly bend the appropriate tab(s) on the float arm. This may take a couple trials and errors. My Hygrade rebuild kit included some specs on this, but it still comes down to careful T & E.

Another factor in running rich: I have read that modern gasolines are much more volatile in cold temps than they used to be. So, you need to set the choke to let in more air than it originally did. I have made this adjustment on my '79 and it does start and idle better in N WI winter temps, probably causing less pollution and giving better gas mileage as well. You might see some benefit from leaning out the choke.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to try that. I find it strange that it could suddenly adjust itself. It's the original carb and has never been touched and always ran great. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I hydrolocked the engine a year ago. There was a lot of water in the carb at the time.

Thanks for your help.

Mike.

My page (updated)
http://www.geocities.com/vdubster1/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suddenly too rich? A leaking AAP diaphragm can cause this, but I don't know if it would manifest itself as a too-high fuel level in the carb's window.

Yesterday I disabled my AAP. Today the engine starts at least as well as it did before, and seems to give smoother response to the gas pedal. Any gas mileage improvements will occur over time.

Still, if you have an older carbureted engine as I do, it's worth it to turn the choke control to admit more air. If you keep track of what you've done, you can always revert to a richer setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts