BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other week I was on my way over the hump to Port Alberni, when my truck began acting up. It was pretty steep so I was in third, all of a sudden my truck started choking, it wouldn't die it would just lose all of its power, then it would come back for a few seconds then it would go again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:canadian

·
Registered
595 Posts
my tercel used to do that.. it turned out it was the thermostat and it was overheating... so ya might want to check that out... ??

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
cowboy said:
The other week I was on my way over the hump to Port Alberni, when my truck began acting up. It was pretty steep so I was in third, all of a sudden my truck started choking, it wouldn't die it would just lose all of its power, then it would come back for a few seconds then it would go again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:canadian
My FJ40 did the exact same thing. Turned out to be the fuel filter.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
22r help

I've already replaced both my fuel filter, and my thermostat. My other toyota did the same thing on the way to Alberta.:canadian

·
Registered
75 Posts
might be obvious, but have you checked your oil pressure and level? Mine did that on the way to Calgary and I found that my oil was low. It only happened while going up hills.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Id be checking or just replacing the fuel pump....
i know that the work truck i used ran fine until you hit hills and half way up it gutted and choked.....replaced the pump and ran fine.....
thats all that i can think of...
or else do a tuneup on it...

BEn

·
Registered
75 Posts
also check your float in your carb. Mine was out of wack and started to choke going up hills doing 80 Km's or more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My carb is still doing weird things. In the morning when I start it, it fires up but then dies like its not getting fuel or its flooding. Usually on the third try I rev it a bit and it runs. When I step on the gas it hesitates before it starts to rev up, and its running really sluggish. I think it must be flooding or something when it loses power on the hwy cause every time I take off the air filter I can see fluid around the carb.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THX Guys but I still got problems, Any more ideas keep em commin in>:help

·
Registered
53 Posts
peel the top of the carb off, and take the drain plug out from the side and soak up all the fuel and whatever other crap you might find in there with a rag. Take out your idle adjustment screw completely and take out the idle fuel cut off solenoid. After all that, spray carb clean into the idle port where you took the screw out of,, and spray liberally into the port where the solenoid came out of too. If you have compressed air, you can blow through those ports , there could be a chunk of crap stuck in there. Chances are you also have crap in the float bowl that is sloshing around. I just went through the same problem with my truck. Drink lots of these :beer :beer :beer if it works out! There is a metering rod that fits into a jet iin the center of the carb, becareful when you put it all back together that you don't bump it or the linkage

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just a long shot. My 1980 did that all the time in certain weather conditions, wet within a few degrees either way of 0 degrees celcius. Even driving over a misty river at the right temperature could do it. Pull over, wait awhile, the problem would go away.

The carb was icing up due to the hot air breather valve (whatever its called) not working properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts