Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FORDS RULE!

ha ha made you look!

just kiddin'

can any gurues help me out here?

my buddy has a 22r in an 83' toy p/u

i used to have one in an 83 that was all hotrodded up,but i did not do the work,i just bought it that way,i was just a punk!

but anyways the engine had a 20 r head with 22r valves wedged in to it,
it also had a custom grind cam in it to match,
it also had a header,and hi flow exaust
with that set up it had not bad power,

does anyone here have something simalar on there truck ?

his rig needs a rebuild,i just thought it would be better to build it right,does anyone want to shed there light hereand help a fellow yo man out?

thanx for any replies

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try calling Shadbolt cams, they might have a cam that will work for what yer buddy is looking for

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks to Jeff at Colt cams(formerly from Shadbolt) my truck has lots more poop. My cam kicks at 1500 revs and is quite noticable. As for swotching the heads look back in this forum, i posted questions about this about a month and a half ago, was too much work and clowning around for me at the time. Toyotas are expensive to rebuild considering you can do a smallblock chev for a few bucks more, depends how involved you get. Dont forget the timing chain, oil pump, REBUILD ROCKER ASSEMBLY or youll wish you did etc. Me, well i did a Cleatus(r*) rebuild, head cost me $230 at heads unlimited in surrey, cam $140 w/tax from Colt, rings $100, and some misc. stuff like all the gaskets, few small bits etc. Was about $600 all said and done. Not new so to speak, but neither is my truck no matter what i do to it. The other end of the spectrum will lead to the $2-2500 mark.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm guilty of a hotrodded 22r:welder

Not fully finished yet but bottem end is .020 over, 20R head with 22r valves, 3 angle grind, ported and polished, looking at cams right now, and planning holley 390 carb. should be good for 140horsies.:*******

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Toytrx said:
Not fully finished yet but bottem end is .020 over, 20R head with 22r valves, 3 angle grind, ported and polished, looking at cams right now, and planning holley 390 carb. should be good for 140horsies.:*******
All that for 140 horses???? :p

K, I'm spoilt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think it will be quite a bit more than 140,
mabey 140 over stock!:D

when you get that boiler finished please let me know how it goes,
also would you be willing to tell a secret?(ya know the cam thing)

p.s. when i had one i kept poppin exhaust bolts from the head,
so i finally got mad enough to drill out the old ones,removed the rest of them,and put 9/16 studs course thread with lots of locktight on them,then i opened up the manifold holes worked great,then i put a header on it,that was a noticable change,

you may want to look at that while yours is out,
i don't know if it was a toy thing or a hopped up toy thing:cool:

·
Registered
363 Posts
did my rebuild last fall. had a 20r, early 22r and late 22r. decided to go with the newer low block style. 20r head swaps are possible on this engine, but require machining end up lowering compression slightly, so i kept the same head.

bored .020
bottom end .010
full dynamic balance of rods, crank & flywheel
heavily ported head and intake
head shaved slightly
moderate cam (cant remeber which one it was, but it was from vancouver)
header & 2.5" exh.
k&n cone filter

the intention was to use the holley 390 or modify a tbi to fit, but lazyness has prevailed and i still use the stock carb. after 20k ive only had one problem; a valve guide seal which poped off the guide after 15k. id estimate it to be around 140hp and a large increase in torque. i can hit 7500 easy but the stock carb causes this to be pointless for power.
i can find out which cam it was if you want. any more q's, just ask.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Toytrx said:

how does that work?:*******

as in the cylinders have been bored .020" over and the journals in the bottom end (crank & rod) are .010" undersized from machining. dont know why i put that in, as it really has no effect on performance,

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what did these 22r have for power out of the box?

i was snoopin around on another site and they were talkin 200hp,
without a bubba,

may be bs'n me

but that is with more than just some stock parts with a shaved head and a cam

·
Registered
363 Posts
the hp's vary slightly, but the average is about :

20r - 90hp , 125lbs
early 22r - 96hp, 130lbs
late 22r(e) - 110hp, 140lbs.

200 is atainable, but with heavy mods, such as an aftermarket head and sidedraft carbs. a normally aspirated engine tops out around 250hp from what ive heard. if people claim to get anything more than 150ish out of an efi, theyre bs'n you. the intake manifold will only support that much even with a bigger throttle body and porting. anything over that and theyre carbed.
afaik, 350hp and about 300ft/lbs is the limit these engines will produce when turbo'd, but 25psi of boost and the other mods to match is required.
all this power is great, but the gains are in the upper end of the rpm range, which is not ideal for a 4x4, and often means a loss of low end torque. also reliability becomes an issue.
i feel the mods ive done are about the limit with stock parts and keeping stock relibility, which was what my goal was.

·
Registered
104 Posts
word, actually the craziest 22r(e - I guess) Was pushing 500 horsies at around 24 psi. Mind you it had a fully built 20r head, custom FI intake manifold and wide throttle body, fully built bottom end pistons/rods and all, t4 turbo I believe and one nasty IC and BOV. He was parting it out on ebay.

·
Registered
363 Posts
500? pbtttttt. did he also have a 800hp civic?? not callin you a liar, but id say he's yankin your chain. This guy currently runs 12psi with a t3/t4 hybird and has a dyno chart with 204hp and 233lbs. if you read his page youll see its been nothing but an ongoing project as it blows or breaks something every couple months. i cant find the link i had for the guy who was running a supra turbo @ 25psi, and from his research, cranks and rods start to bust above 350hp, but hey anthing is possible. now you want crazy? some dude in california has a v7fte (supra turbo, i cant remember the correct engine model) that pulls 750hp. apparently his little trick is to pull catwalks across the desert. wish i had that much money to blow on a toy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a 22R built for my '85 2(gak)WD and it was an awesome motor. '82 block, '75 20R head, comp 260 cam, header, full 2.5" exhaust, and had a 4 speed in it. Rear end gears were factory 3.07:1's. The fastest I went in the thing was just shy of 180 km/hr. Wish I hadn't sold it.....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that sounds like the number i was lookin for!
that is probly what type of set up i had,thanx for all the info to everyone! my bud will probly run something very similar!

p.s. fords still rule! he he
just teasin':D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts