BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 toyota 4x4. Engine tag says its a 22r originaly but when i bought it there was a 20r in there.

Head gasket blows very soon after i got it and i had a spare 22re sitting around. So i took out the 20r switched everything over to the 22re and installed it. the 22re is now a 22r as far as i can tell. Then right at the end of the repair i am installing new spark plugs and the first 3 go in nice by hand but the last one closest to the firewall was very hard to get out and is cross threaded so badly. I tried to put a new one in, a few used ones but i can only get it in part way and it takes alot of torque to get it that far. so the plug is not even close to in all the way but its in there tight as hell. I have come so far on this repair and now I have hit this issue. This was a used engine i bought and have never used before. Should i take the head off and bring it to a shop? run it as is? has this happened to anyone? and what did you do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
A tap - and I'd put grease all over it to contain the chips is about 15$. A helicoil kit is about 50$ USA prices mind you......

Of course it HAD to be the one nearest the flywheel...... You'll ALWAYS check that before the install from here on. The previous knucklehead ruined the threads.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.