BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question for the toy expert is; are the car and truck 22re's the same can a car motor be put in a truck easily?

assuming the truck is a 85 or newer this question is not about older trucks.

Second can the fuel injection for a 22re be easily swapped to a 22r? What computer go with it and where are the located on the fuel injected trucks?

Thanx for the help guys!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey

Okay, from what I understand...

The car and truck 22re's are different the car uses a large chamber head with dome pistons, the truck uses a small chamber head with flat top pistons, and a 22r uses a large chamber head with flat top pistons.
As for the injection on the 22r there wouldn't be any power if the stock pistons were used. but you could put the car 22re into a truck cause the bolt patterns are identical on the blocks. The location of the computer on the 22re trucks is behing the passenger kick panel.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The 22re uses dome pistons as well. the intake and exhaust are a differnet pattern on the 22r compared to the 22re so a head swap would be have to be done, I am not positive if the heads just swap out though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes some 22RE's have domed pistons... I saw it on one out of an 84 Celica when I cannibalized it for parts. On my truck and my brothers trucks when we rebuilt the engines the pistons were flat that we took out (22RE). Umm, you can just put a 22RE head on a 22R block, I remember reading somewhere about watching what pistions you use (ie dome) and that the 22R block itself is 2mm taller than an equivalent 22RE block.
Anybody else confirm?
Russ

·
Registered
363 Posts
RussFEST said:
Yes some 22RE's have domed pistons... I saw it on one out of an 84 Celica when I cannibalized it for parts. On my truck and my brothers trucks when we rebuilt the engines the pistons were flat that we took out (22RE). Umm, you can just put a 22RE head on a 22R block, I remember reading somewhere about watching what pistions you use (ie dome) and that the 22R block itself is 2mm taller than an equivalent 22RE block.
Anybody else confirm?
Russ
thats because it was an '84. 85 and later engines are different and the heads not directly interchangable. you must keep the early/late head and blocks together.
there is no difference in the block, head and internals between a carbed and efi engine. just a different intake and exhaust manifold. the ignition is also controlled by the computer, so the coil and distributor need to be changed.

car and truck engines are the same. there may differences in emissions equipment and the manifold, but it would work. i assume you are planning on putting a car efi unit in your truck. id swap the entire thing as a unit with wiring harness and computer.
the efi manifold will fit on any year 22r. i could see the exhaust manifold being different on a car for clearance, but it should still fit in the truck.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a late model 22re manifold will fit on an early model 22r (eg 83)?

Meaning I can take the ignition and fuel injection out of the car and throw it on a truck.

Is this correct?

I think find the fuel injection stuff from a 22re will be easy but what about find a good 22re runner for a direct swap?

Also what kind of money does a good running 22re go for?

THANX guys!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
i forgot, there is a difference between a carbed and efi head. a carbed engine has a mechanical fuel pump hole on the front of the head. many efi's have the hole with a steel plate covering it, others its cast in, just not machined out.

yes, the efi manifolds wit fit on both the early (81 to 84) and late (85 to 93) heads.
the piston differences theyre refering to are dependent on the year, regardless of efi/car or car/truck. early style blocks had domed pistons with 83cc heads. late blocks are shorter, use flat top pistons and a shorter, 58cc head. they also use shorter timming chains. both years have square intake ports, the early exhaust ports were round, late are pear shaped. the manifolds will swap though. bore and stroke are identical. all heads bolt to any block, but mixing early/late heads is an issue. you can fit an early head onto a late block, but the head requires some serious decking to make it shorter. afaik, you cant put a late head on an early block, due to clearance and chain length issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
errrrr......wrong, the efi and carbed manifolds wont swap, even if within the same year. i just went through all this, welded up a carbed head to fit an efi manifold.......there are like 6 holes that need to be made. unless you can weld aluminum well i would suggest not attempting this. by the way an early style efi head is almost impossible to find in good shape:mullet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts