BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I seem to have blown my head gasket, with my timing chain issues and a geriatric motor, I have my VISA in hand and am about to swap my engine woes for credit woes ;)

When rebuilding a 22RE, what brand parts are an absolute must? I want this motor to last another 300K and have good bottom to mid end.
For example:

Timing Chain Tensioner - Toyota (Wil's recommendation)
Valve guides - Toyota
Cam - Shadbolt M1144
Rings - ?
Pistons - ?
Gaskets - ?
Oil Pump - ?
Bearings - ?
Timing Chain ( with metal guides ) - DOA?
Valves - ?
Head Bolts - ?
etc etc,
Any opinions or tips for to getting this right??

:read

·
Registered
802 Posts
While you're in there, I'd change the water pump and fuel filter, too. I did the injectors since the truck was 16 yrs old at the time, but your truck is newer than mine so you're probably okay.

Consider one of Mark's overbored throttle-body and intake kits, and if you've got the time, port-match everything.

As far as brands, I've had no trouble with my Altrom oil pump (p/n is on my website in Tech - Parts list).

I think Doug is cheaper than DOA for the guides.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The oil pumps are rather sturdy. GIve it a quick measure, the specs are in Haynes manuals. I doubt you will need a new one. However, I highly recommend replacing the oil pump pressure release valve spring. It's about 4 bucks from Toyota.

As far as valve springs and piston rings and valves you wont want to go Toyota. WAY to expensive and they will never be able to get you the parts for when they say they will. They will say 7-10 days....maybe/hopefully.

Gaskets: I must insist you get Toyota gaskets. Anyone who says they are no better than jobber gaskets is full of poop. Compare gaskets one day. I bought a jobber water pump a while ago, I then picked up one in an engine kit I got from Toyota. The jobber impeller was easily half the size (which means half the flow) and the gasket was total garbage compared to the Toyota one. Just order a seal kit from Toyota. Oh ya, and make sure you keep that receipt and a the name of the person who helped you because I guaruntee your kit will be missing parts. Mine was missing about 10 various small seals and gaskets, they are pretty quick to get you the parts you are missing.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great keep it comming :D

Gaskets: I must insist you get Toyota gaskets
yup will do
Consider one of Mark's overbored throttle-body and intake kits
Yes I plan on this, sooner than later preferably, along with a header - Hooker maybe ?
port-match everything
What's this??
Doug is cheaper than DOA for the guides
More info on this too.

The feul pump is 1 month old.
The water pump, though forget the brand, is as old as my new useless timing chain - about 10K.
The CAM is a shadbolt and has about 3000KM, Can I reuse this??
What about balancing the engine and having the heads ported & polished since I'll be wanting to get that intake done, header and new exhaust... eventually though
:rolleyes:
Anything I need to tell the machinist that ought to be done on those engines. I would think he/she would know but anything specific about Bore, Head work, Piston shape etc??
Bad timing as my daughter is coming back from visiting her mom 6 weeks stateside and I was wanting to camp, hike, wheel etc :violin

:read

1 - 4 of 4 Posts