BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm not sure what all goin on with my engine. I might have to rebuild the bottom end. The head was rebuild, and everything put back together and I'm having trouble getting it going. So I'm going through the options in my head. One idea I really like is to swap in a 22RE. Currently I have a 22R in my '85. How big of a job would this be? What all needs to be done besides wiring and fuel? What all needs to be changed on the fuel system? I've heard that the fuel injected motor, and the carbed motor had a different tranny. Would a 22RE bolt up to my tranny? I'd probably buy an old Celica or Supra, and swap the engine in, so the wiring harness, and fuel system would all be there. Any help/advice would be apreciated.

------------------
Now cruisin in a '85 'yota, reg cab, SB, 3" lift, 31" AT... basically stock. Faded red and ugly
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net
I am the true cut and paste bodyman

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your going to the trouble of doing a 22re swap from a celica look for a 83-84 Supra with the 6 in it (5M-GE) Its suppost to be a staightforward swap and should give you about 160hp. Just a thought.

·
Registered
389 Posts
for the swap ok
if you are getting a 22re moter you will need wiring harness,and motor,and a fuel tank to make things easy and basicly close to stock
the moter and trany are same.wire harness is basicly same as old style, WHY you have to rebuild?,but if you rebuild and are planing on changing to EFI
you can use same bottom end as 22r and have to put on a 22re head with it complete,meaning injecters ectra. but its easy

Originally posted by randbeast:
OK, so I'm not sure what all goin on with my engine. I might have to rebuild the bottom end. The head was rebuild, and everything put back together and I'm having trouble getting it going. So I'm going through the options in my head. One idea I really like is to swap in a 22RE. Currently I have a 22R in my '85. How big of a job would this be? What all needs to be done besides wiring and fuel? What all needs to be changed on the fuel system? I've heard that the fuel injected motor, and the carbed motor had a different tranny. Would a 22RE bolt up to my tranny? I'd probably buy an old Celica or Supra, and swap the engine in, so the wiring harness, and fuel system would all be there. Any help/advice would be apreciated.

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by devonrcw:
If your going to the trouble of doing a 22re swap from a celica look for a 83-84 Supra with the 6 in it (5M-GE) Its suppost to be a staightforward swap and should give you about 160hp. Just a thought.
Do you have any more info on the engine? Its 6 cyl? Straight 6 or V6? Money is a big issue here, as I have barely been working the last few months.

------------------
'85 Toy... the project begins

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by bravenight:
for the swap ok
if you are getting a 22re moter you will need wiring harness,and motor,and a fuel tank to make things easy and basicly close to stock
the moter and trany are same.wire harness is basicly same as old style, WHY you have to rebuild?,but if you rebuild and are planing on changing to EFI
you can use same bottom end as 22r and have to put on a 22re head with it complete,meaning injecters ectra. but its easy

I know its possible to put a 22RE head on the 22R block, but I just had the head rebuilt. I might have to rebuild the bottom end b/c there are tiny grooves in the cylinder walls and the rings also might be shot. Right now I'm just running a number of options through my head.

------------------
'85 Toy... the project begins

1 - 7 of 7 Posts