BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has put a 3.8 with an auto in a sammi if so how did it fit? what did you use for a drive to the transfer case? I have this motor and trans and I am not sure if i should try it or not? I am running an RX-7 rotary right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by clayton Sartorius:
Just wondering if anyone has put a 3.8 with an auto in a sammi if so how did it fit? what did you use for a drive to the transfer case? I have this motor and trans and I am not sure if i should try it or not? I am running an RX-7 rotary right now.
my brother has one in his samurai. it is a tight fit. it looks to me like the driveshaft between the tcase and transmission was made by welding part of the zuki shaft with the chevy shaft.
he has a 3" body lift, and had to widen the trany tunnell. the tcase has been moved back alot. (really short rear driveshaft). the driverside exhast manifod rubs on the steering shaft(not a big problem, just cut a notch in the exhaust manifold)

why would you want to take to rotary out, sounds like that is a cool motor to have in the samurai, being light weight and powererfull both?

my brother is going to take the 3.8 out, and put something different in it. he was interested in the rotary swap, but it looks like he might go with the 2.9 fuel injected ford motor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the info! The reason I was thinking of doing this swap was because i have the 3.8 just laying around. Don't get me wrong the rotary is a cool little engine! It rev's like mad. 8000 rpm no problem , good power and very good on the street. I was just thinking if the 3.8 was easy to do I might want some more power. But i think I am going to stick with the rotary. thanks again. and let me know how your brother's ford swap works out...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts