BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just priced a 3" lift from 4off road for my explorer... They quoted me 150 bucks plus tax. This sound reasonable? I will be installing it myself and eventually adding 32" tires.

Another couple questions are what width can i fit on a stock explorer rim and how big a diffrence will there be from my stock 235's?
How much more clearence will i get?

·
Registered
583 Posts
3" lift for $150? That doesn't sound right. That sounds like what you might pay for 2" lift coils and an add-a-leaf.

Anyway back to the question. With that small a lift you can fit 31's maaaybe 32's. check out www.4x4central.com for tons of Explorer info. Also check out the message board there at www.explorerforum.com

------------------
Paul Gagnon
New Westminster, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh... a body lift... LOL I'm not a big fan of body lifts.

There are several different suspension lifts available for your truck. No need to waste your time on a body lift that won't help your off road performance. A body lift may allow you to put larger tires but it won't improve your suspension in any way. Plus they look goofy.

Check this link for a before and after of 2" coils and add-a-leaf that a friend of mine did. http://riff.dhs.org/4wheel/before-after.htm

------------------
Paul Gagnon
New Westminster, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited July 19, 2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey paul, What kind of lift do you have?? And what size tires you have?
I just saw pics od an explorer with a 5.5" sus and 2" body... SWEET!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a 6" lift with extended radius arms in the front and SOA with 2" lift springs in the rear. My tires are 33's.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
New Westminster, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the same pinstriping!!! lol
NICE truck! thats what i want mine to eventually look like!

·
Registered
189 Posts
do the body lift if you value the metal on your truck the body lift's don't look goofy and make room for tires your explorer has a better suspension stock than most others modifide so don't panic or some people will have you putting dana 60's all the way around and multi link suspensions then a sludge pump and piston return spring you see were i'm going with this if you want a bit of suspension height put your springs on top of your rear axle and taller coils in the front with some super lift camber adjusters it's cheap and works well

beware the suspension sales man
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ffd329ea/bc/fordrangernoplate.jpg?bcL2_q7A4e9U0D54

click above to see a 3" body lifted ranger with 32x11.5 muds
------------------
89 ranger 5" tall and a front lincoln locker
rear auburn and lotsof neat gadgets

[This message has been edited by gregjack62 (edited August 07, 2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by gregjack62:
put your springs on top of your rear axle and taller coils in the front with some super lift camber adjusters it's cheap and works well
How much of a lift do you think i'll get doing that? and how much you think it'll cost?

·
Registered
14 Posts
yOU WILL BASICALLY GET WHAT PAUL HAS MAYBE LESS AN INCH OR SO AND I WOULD SAY YOU WILL BE LOOKIN ABOUT $1000-$1500 TO DO THAT GO WITH BODY LIFT IF ALL YOU WANT IS , IS SOME HEIGHT AND ABIT BIGGER TIRE. iF YOU LOOK AT PAULS TRUCK HE HAS STOCK RIMS AND 33" !!!!!

------------------
1983 BRONCO 3" BODY LIFT 33 12.50 351 WITH EDELBROCK PERFORMER

·
Registered
189 Posts
you can go to about a 2" higher coil cause superlift makes 2 3/4 degree camber adjusters and the rear will be the higher by the thickness of your springs and the diameter of your axle tubes probably at least 3 " the hardest part is getting someone to weld new spring perches for beer a set of adjusters is arou8nd 60 / 70 bucks ,springs ???? haven't checked lately you can also add a 1 1/4" spacer under your coils and still have enough adjustment to align the wheels properly

------------------
89 ranger 5" tall and a front lincoln locker
rear auburn and lotsof neat gadgets

1 - 13 of 13 Posts