BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anybody know, a good recipe (if you will) for a 302 300 horse? Would a 351m swap be cheaper, than buildin up a 302. I can get a 351m for basically free, so what would be a better idea? But put in mind I want about 300 horse, and sugestions appreciated.

------------------
CHEVY THE HEARTBEAT OF AMERICA
NEEDS A PACEMAKER

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
there are a thousand ways...
the best/easiest tho maybe not the cheapest, is to start with a 225HP SEFI Mustang motor. .030 overbore, headers & exhaust, cam and intake and you've pretty much conquered it after a touch of head work.
Much better (I think you have a full size Bronco?) would be a 351W. That's about impossible NOT to get 300 HP from a fresh motor, assuming good exhaust and cam. add the 89-93 Mustang EFI or Propane for bonus points and drivability. My choice is a twin turbo 351W on propane for around 500HP. more than that starts stressing things, and it keeps it cheap and easy. have a look at this page if you like the idea of cheap power
www.geocities.com/toohighpsi/BudgetTT.htm
BOOST RULES

------------------
Drive fast, take chances!

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
460 460 460 460 460 460 460 460 460 460 460 460

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
twin turbo propane 460 ya ya ya ya ya !!! Of course then you have to upgrade to a Rockwell drivetrain, and then it will be too heavy for the little 460, so you'll need something jet powered.... sell it and buy a Suzuki LOL! then you can put in a bigger motor, upgrade the drivetrain to 1/2 ton stuff, then its too heavy, so it needs a V8, then you break the drivetrain, so you go 1 ton, then its too heavy so you go big block, hmmmmmm..... deja vu....

------------------
Got Boost?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lets see,

would a 351m, with nisan 300zx twin turbos be a good enugh power? gettin the engine is no probelem, and i think maxwells will have a few nissans. How much power we lookin @??

------------------
CHEVY THE HEARTBEAT OF AMERICA
NEEDS A PACEMAKER

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
the Nissans are a tad small for a 351. displacement is nearly double the original application, but revs are considerably lower too. It would make nice power out of a stock junkyard motor, and you could always keep an eye out for some Ford (naturally the best
turbos from 85-86 5 speed T-birds, Mustang SVO, or Merkur XR4Ti. With a good free exhaust, you should have no trouble getting over 300HP. Don't forget to run good gas! Then again, 351M's are free, so let it detonate away, beat the snot out of it, throw it away and drop in another one! nothin' like cheap power to put a grin
on your face

------------------
Got Boost?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by BRONCO BUSTER:
lets see,

would a 351m, with nisan 300zx twin turbos be a good enugh power? gettin the engine is no probelem, and i think maxwells will have a few nissans. How much power we lookin @??

Why on earth would you spend dollar one on a 351 modified? these motors are best used to keep a dock from floating away! a 351 Windsor is a different engine entirely, the modified motor is a destroked FE big block ( essentially ) and aside from being very heavy and sucking lots of gas
they have no good qualities. as far as 300zx turbos go these are a very good choice ( just not on a modified) the nissan turbos are made in the US! (AIReasearch) and are basically a TO4 with nissan specs, Before just slapping on any turbo to your motor do some research on things like A/R ratios, excess air, blow off valves, wastegates etc... you may find that you don't need as big a turbo as you think ( bigger is not better unless yer gonna rev that V8 to around ten grand? ) try looking at the turbos used on lebarons (these are a TO3 )
if using them in a twin application, it is basically like feeding two four cylinder engines. a 300zx turbo is designed to feed a 3.5l six, put two of these on a V8 and start wondering where your torque went. just .02c from a guy who has spent some time messing around with turbos...

------------------
just typing my inner monologue, again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by michael:
that part still applies though

not arrogant enough to be a snort member huh?i dont think youll ever have to worry about that beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooootch.

------------------
TIIIMMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
OK, I thought the Nissan used twin turbos. If you have only a single feeding a motor that uses nearly the same peak airflow as the 351M, 2 of them would obviously be overkill, and probably never spool up except under extreme duress. There is a point in favor of the 351M, and that is that you can get as many as you want for FREE, and then tether your boat when you've blown it up! Dual Purpose, I call it!

------------------
Got Boost?

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
[/B][/QUOTE]I humbly stand corrected, but these motors are still junk!!!!

------------------
just typing my inner monologue, again?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Bocephus:
I found that site pretty intriguing so I sent it to a friend at work who sent me this one:
http://pages.cthome.net/gus/index.html

It's not 4x4 but it's all about junkyard turbos/superchargers and some Fords. Amazing what some people can come up with.
There is a lot of info on the net about junk yard turbos. its lots of fun, lots of power, lots of work, and easy to toast your motor if you don't do your research

E-Groups has a list called Junk Yard Turbo or JYT and there are a lot of knowledgable people on it. As with any group, there are some people who are only there to flame, but for the most part, they helped me out a lot.
They prefer that you actually LOOK for an answer before asking, which is only fair, saving a lot of repeat posts. www.turboford.org is a good starting point. their mailing list is a larger version of the JYT, very active, and a very hot environment.
Have fun, get BOOST!

------------------
Got Boost?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts