BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:canadian I would like so info on putting a 304 in a YJ!

I have a T-176 tranny and a Dana 300( some CJ-5's and CJ8's came with this combo: 304/T-176/Dana 300)

I plan on "flipping" the 300 over to the driver side dump and I can get an aftermarket slave cylinder. The Info I need is what make/model/year should I look for and what fly wheel do I need?

Anyone got this combo in their Jeep?

Thanx in advance!

Greg!

·
Registered
237 Posts
My '81 CJ5 has that combo, but I dont know if its stock, I did a carfax and it said 3.6L V6 as my original engine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also have that combo right now in my Jeep. I have an '82 CJ7. I know that the engine is a rebuild, so I don't know if it was the same as stock or not. I will soon be going with a 350 fuel injected. I don't have any major problems with the combo I have now other than the fact that I want a little more power. Well OK, a lot more power.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hrmm... it says there's one record for mine. Is that good or bad? if I spend $15 to get an email that says "This vehicle is good" I'll be pissing mad. Does anyone get unlimited reports from this?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Jeepasaurus said:
My '81 CJ5 has that combo, but I dont know if its stock, I did a carfax and it said 3.6L V6 as my original engine.
Carfax is wrong. Jeep only used a 4.2L inline 6 cyl or a 304 in '81.

Check out a Jeep VIN decoder like this one: http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_decoder_en.htm to see what motor your Jeep came with originally.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
greglautenschlager said:
:canadian I would like so info on putting a 304 in a YJ!

I have a T-176 tranny and a Dana 300( some CJ-5's and CJ8's came with this combo: 304/T-176/Dana 300)

I plan on "flipping" the 300 over to the driver side dump and I can get an aftermarket slave cylinder. The Info I need is what make/model/year should I look for and what fly wheel do I need?
What year is your YJ? AFAIK any 304 will bolt up to a T176 bellhousing. If you're going to the trouble of swapping a 304 in and you haven't got one yet, I'd hold out for a 360. Most full size wagoneers should have one and they'll give you much more power.

As Lynn mentioned, 304 makes pretty good power but less than a Chev 350. A 360 is on par with the 350 and can be modified to make lots more power. The T176 is better than a T4 or T5 but it's still crap. It's weak and it has a poor first gear. Find yourself a T18A (CJ tranny with a 6.32 first)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I swapped a 360 into my '90 YJ, kept the ax15 for now, and have a Dana300 behind it. The motor swap is very straight foreward, all AMC motors use the same bellhousing to block bolt pattern. The only custom machining was reaming out the 360 pilot busing to .754 to use the ax15. I was even able to use the clutch disk, pressure plate and trowout bearing!! It will be easier for you than it was for me as I had to rewire, as I sold the entire wiring harness and computer with the old engine.

Making motor mounts is very straight foreward, but I would definitely suggest not bothering with flipping the t-case if you are doing it to keep your stock axles. They simply won't hold up unless you want to throw huge cash at them upgrading, and then it's still dicey. Find a set of Scout Dana 44's when ou do the swap, and then you'll have a nicely matched drivetrain. Tranny wize, I'd nurse along whatever you have now until you can afford the NV4500.
my .02

·
Registered
129 Posts
quoted:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jeepasaurus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carfax is wrong. Jeep only used a 4.2L inline 6 cyl or a 304 in '81.

When I entered my vin, they told me that my 91 YJ came with a 318CID V8. This is also a good indication that somebody slipped too many stupid pills into somebodies cornflakes. Then they asked me for my credit card #...
Right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.