BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and girls.

I know I could probably find some more info about this by diggin. But I like info from the locals.

I am just about to start my 5' SPOA lift on my Jimny.
I have some 31's on 7.5" rims with an inch or so of backspacing. Do you think these will fit on my ride?
Or will some spacers be in order?
I ordered and received the Rocky road kit, with everything except springs. Is there anything else I should do while in the process?

Thank for your input.

·
Registered
125 Posts
so 15x7 rims with 1 inch of backspacing... that doesnt seem right to me.

pure suzuki is listing it as
31" x 11.5" tires 15" x 7" / 15" x 8" / 8.5" rims 3.25" - 3.6" backspacing

so 1inch of backspacing would push the tires way to far out the fenderwells and wear your front end out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so 15x7 rims with 1 inch of backspacing... that doesnt seem right to me.

pure suzuki is listing it as
31" x 11.5" tires 15" x 7" / 15" x 8" / 8.5" rims 3.25" - 3.6" backspacing

so 1inch of backspacing would push the tires way to far out the fenderwells and wear your front end out.
Im not sure how to express backspacing... it looks as if the hub is approx 1 inch off the center of rim.
So, right, it pushes the wheels out an inch, plus having 2 inch wider rims. So that is about 2 inches farther out the side.

So this is harder on the front end just because of fulcrum forces when wheeling, or because it throws camber and castor out? I imagine wheel spacers would make this problem worse then?
The tires are 10.5's.

Thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im not sure how to express backspacing... it looks as if the hub is approx 1 inch off the center of rim.
So, right, it pushes the wheels out an inch, plus having 2 inch wider rims. So that is about 2 inches farther out the side.

So this is harder on the front end just because of fulcrum forces when wheeling, or because it throws camber and castor out? I imagine wheel spacers would make this problem worse then?
The tires are 10.5's.

Thanks again for your reply!
what you are describing is wheel OFFSET. the wheel backspacing is more important. yes the closer the wheel mounting surface is to centerline of the rim the BETTER. but with wide rims and wide tires, backspacing is more important. 3.75 is normal so swapping out for less backspacing pushes the tire farther out from the leafsprings (very important, you dont want your tire hitting your spring on turning, or your getting no where)

so with a 6 inch wide rim with 3.5 backspacing, the wheel has 0.5 positive offset. or a half inch towards the FACE/outside of the rim

now if you go to a 8 inch wide rim to clear just the same you will need the same 3.5 backspacing but the offset now changes to 0.5 Negative offset. this is more important with a ifs as it starts to change how the suspension works but for a sami its ok. but it will wear the suspension components as it is putting more stress on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts