BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically wondering if I can run a 33" Mickey T Baja Claws on stock YJ diffs/axels. I also want to know what gears it has. Are they ok or should I upgrade to a Dana 44 or something else like that? I only do moderate wheeling and my jeep is still needs to be a commuter a few days a week. I also had the thought of maybe purchasing a limited slip diff. Would that be wise or not?

------------------
'92 YJ w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster muffler, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
u can run them but u might lose 5 th gear. But if u wanna spend lots of $$$ go for the lower gears

------------------
92 YJ with 3 inch lift running 31's

·
Registered
9 Posts
well u have 32s now. 33s wouldnt be too much of a diffrence. i would go with a full locker and not waste time on an limited slip. my buddy in runnin stock gears and 33s but also has a crawler box.

Drew

------------------
your right i dont understand that Jeep thing

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you are thinking of Bias Ply Claws they are a LOT heavier and will increase your chance of axle breakage. Radial claws will not be a huge difference, but there is still a slight increase in the chance of breakage.
Installing a locker can also increase the chance of breakage if you use it to continue driving when there is a wheel in the air.

BTW, I'm not a fan of Radial Claws. They are great in a straight line, but don't have very good lateral traction or turning ability. I've also heard that they don't have very good sidewall strength, but I don't know if that was compared to other radials or compared to the Bias Claw.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
You probably have 3.07 diff gears. With 33" tires, you won't be using fifth very often. ;-)

As you might expect, you are increasing your odds of axle shaft breakage with aggressive, larger tires. However, if you're careful, you can get away with it. Long term, though, I'd consider swapping in a Ford Explorer 8.8" rear end or the hard-to-find Cherokee Dana 44.

If you want to swap both axles, then your swap options increase dramatically.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I just have my diffs re-geared? Would that help enough or should I just be looking at the axel swap? I'm trying to avoid the day when I twist a weak axel and break it.

------------------
'92 YJ w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster muffler, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by sbinc:
Can I just have my diffs re-geared? Would that help enough or should I just be looking at the axel swap? I'm trying to avoid the day when I twist a weak axel and break it.

As you might imagine, it really depends on your budget. If you can afford the $600 or so for a Ford 8.8" rear end AND a front and rear diff gear swap, then go for it. If you can't BUT you find an 8.8" with decent gears (ie: 3.73 or higher) then buy it and then just get your front diff re-geared to match. If you find an 8.8" with 3.55 gears, I would probably wait and save up my pennies to re-gear both to a higher ratio rather than re-gearing the front to match a small improvement in the rear.

BTW, 3.73 would be fine for 33" tires but 4.10 would be the better choice if you will be using 35" or taller tires.

And yes, you can always re-gear your existing axles now and some time in the future, find a beefier rear end that either matches your gears or pay to have that axle re-geared as well.

Whether or not your D35 rear end doesn't snap an axle shaft before then is something I can't answer. If you don't abuse it (and I mean, REALLY be gentle with it) then it should last but any kind of bouncing while you're on the throttle will go a long ways toward weakening the axle shaft.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Banned
3 Posts
I'm running 33" BFG's on my stock D30/35 and so far have had no problems. (I wheel at least 3 times a month and can be a bit agressive on the go pedal). I have not had any axle breakage (knock wood) as of yet.

My '90 YJ has 3.07 gears and no, I don't use 5th gear all that often. I will be regearing soon to 4.10's so I can run 35" Swampers (probably next year) but I am not going to worry too much about an axle swap at that time, I'll just run my rig with the stock axles until I break something....then I'll be doing a swap.

If your a moderate wheeler, then I really wouldn't worry about it. If your gonna run the 'Con every weekend, then you may wanna consider a swap.

JMO

------------------
CANADIAN GIRLS KICK ASS!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on your current diffs.

If you are going to spend money in the future, toss those little guys out and put the 8.8 in the rear and a 44 in the front.

On the other hand I wheel with a guy who has stock diffs with 4.56's and Lockers, and rarely breaks a shaft. The extrodinary thing is...he runs 35" Boggers... in fact most of us do!

Keeping in mind he has a 4banger, but runs that through a 4.3 Atlas case which nets out some good low range.

You will be OK if you keep off the GO pedal.

Another point to note is the 33 Claw measures out to about 31.6 inches on the outside, and will not stress the drivetrain as much as originally thought.

I have run that exact tire, and was kind of dissapointed with its performance. It does have lateral traction difficulties, chunks easy, and I tore off lugs in a week of owning them. The straight line traction in sand and mud is awesome, but would look elsewhere for tires if you want a "true" 33 inch tire.

BTW not a good commuter tire either, no bias-ply tire really is!

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Pussy:
I wouldn't spend money on your current diffs.
If you are going to spend money in the future, toss those little guys out and put the 8.8 in the rear and a 44 in the front.
That'd be a bit of a problem because of the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. The 8.8 comes in that size but not the D44. If he's swapping out the front, he might as well do front/rear D44s or a rear 9" or D60.

On the other hand I wheel with a guy who has stock diffs with 4.56's and Lockers, and rarely breaks a shaft. The extrodinary thing is...he runs 35" Boggers... in fact most of us do!

"Rarely," but not "never." <g> Most of the guys I've met who have broken a D35 rarely do it more than once. But that's because they upgrade to a bigger axle soon after that. ;-)

Using 33" or taller tires with the stock axles doesn't guarantee breakage but you are upping your odds considerably and you don't even have to be on the hardcore trails. I've seen D35's with 32" tires and open or LS diffs snap axle shafts w/o any abuse by the driver, either during the incident or on the trips prior to it. I've run my stock axles with 31" tires for a long time, 33" tires for a brief time, and a rear locker and I did a LOT of trails with that setup AND I didn't break anything. But I've also seen a fair number of Dana 35s break (far more than any other axle) and knew it was just a matter of time before my number came up. Sooner or later, the odds will catch up to you.

I know the dreaded "elitist" word is going to pop up in some people's heads when I say this but...I try to avoid any hardcore trail run where a YJ/TJ/XJ/MJ with stock axles and big tires will be part of the group. I don't mind helping out with field repairs but on the other hand, I will do my best to avoid a bad situation before it happens. A snapped D35 has always resulted in at least 4 hours of downtime.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another option could be...

Use Dodge D44 knuckles and stubshafts from the "fulltime NP 203" era which did use the small bolt pattern with a hub retrofit(part time kit)if he wanted. Not the cheapest, but still effective.

I would avoid the Early Bronco stuff for no other reason than parts availability and cost.

Or just go Waggoner all around, but that will necessitate new wheels, and as of late, they are getting harder to find and costlier.

Always something to ponder for an axles swap.

44's, 60's, or ROCKWELLS!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
[QUTOE]
Or just go Waggoner all around, but that will necessitate new wheels, and as of late, they are getting harder to find and costlier.
[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? I run wagoneer axles. They're 6 bolt. Yeah, I had to get different wheels, but they cost just as much as any other. I bought the steel white spokes for like $45 each I think.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Greg W:
What do you mean? I run wagoneer axles. They're 6 bolt. Yeah, I had to get different wheels, but they cost just as much as any other. I bought the steel white spokes for like $45 each I think.
Greg, I think Mike means that Waggy axles are getting harder to find.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quite right Larry...

I have heard that the Waggy axles are in high demand, and are in short supply.

Wheels are cheap if your like me and like steel, but this fellow may have factory alloys or aftermarket for that matter that he would like to keep!

Just trying to keep swap costs down.

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
my buddy runs 35" SSRs and stock axles on his jeep. but he has a c clip elim kit too. he is locked and runs rubicon and fordyce. he hasnt broke yet. but then again i have seen toys break d60s too.

Drew

------------------
breakage is inevitable,
misery is optional.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Rockcrawlintoy:
my buddy runs 35" SSRs and stock axles on his jeep. but he has a c clip elim kit too. he is locked and runs rubicon and fordyce. he hasnt broke yet. but then again i have seen toys break d60s too.
Exactly. And repairing a busted custom axle like a D35 with a c-clip eliminator kit is even more problematic if you don't have spares.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have any fancy aftermarket alloy rims. The wheels that I want to get are something like an american racing AR-767. Just something cheap and black so I'm not too worried about the swap cost in that respect.

Lars, you said that the D44 wouldn't fit the yj 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, so what would fit for the front axel? Do you mean the Ford 9" or the D60 does fit for the back along with the Ford 8.8"? Or should I try to get D44 front and back? Either way I will probably want to swap the front axel too.

------------------
'92 YJ 4cyl. w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster muffler, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pussy-
What would you recommend as a tire instead of the radial baja claws for the moderate wheeler. I want something that will kick ass in mud, sand and a few rocks. From what you said about them is making me think a little different.

------------------
'92 YJ 4cyl. w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster exhaust, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry for the late reply...

I would say that the new Goodyear MTR is a good choice for a radial, and if you didn't mind the nuances of a bias-ply tire, I would reccommend the good ol' TSL Swamper. On the plus side, the 33 Swamper measures out to about 34.5" new!

Claws look cool, but are a "small" tire. I believe my buddies 35 Claws measured out to 33.8" new!

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are the claws a heavy tire? I would like to try to keep the weight down a little because of the four angry squirels I have under the hood. And how would they compare to the weight of the Wrangler MTRs?

How do the MTRs measure out? I mean will a 33" actually be a 33?

------------------
'92 YJ 4cyl. w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster exhaust, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts