BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my CJ5 I have just put on 33-12.5-15(previous 31-10.5-15) tires, they fit fine with no rubbing. I have been told by a few jeep friends of mine I should lift it, what would you all suggest. Whats important to me first is easy to install and looking to the future of going up in tire size. I was told to put on a 2inch body lift for tire clearance, is this the better way to go rather than lifting the suspension?

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 33X12.5 tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well, I believe a body lift will cost you a helluva lot less, not to mention that it's much cheaper. However, a suspension lift will likely increase performance as well as give you clearance. If you're looking to the future for bigger sizes I think I would be tempted to go with the suspension lift for now, save the body lift for that one extra inch you'll want later.

If you do a body lift, do it right and buy the spacers. My buddy made some out of nylon and all the spacers on his cab are leaning precariously forwards

Also, I've heard a few times on the boards that body lifts can cause trouble with the added stress on the body.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
do the cheep stuff first. U can always do a suspension lift later.

If u need a hand u got my #

------------------
The girlfriend told me to get my priorities straight so i found a new love .... my jeep

·
Registered
5 Posts
i wheel with a guy that runs a 3" body lift on his jeep cj7 w/ 33" tires , and we all find that it wheels very well and flexes good for the stock suspension .
i think i would get the body lift and then do the suspension after u have done some research as to what u would like out of the suspension.

mike

------------------
yaaaa
i own a jeep
ow well i guess that means i gotta wait for u!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would try to get all the info you can on all lift kits. Ask around, and try to get a couple rides in jeeps W different lifts to see how they feel. A suspention lift is an expensive add on, but will give the whole frame the clearance you might need. Good luck. Mudder2.

------------------
What's that stuff dripping right there? Just... don't even look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts