BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first, i was just wondering what gears i would have on an 87 that are stock. second, i was wondering if the big tires have any effect on my engine or clutch or possibly the timing chain.

------------------
-Ryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am running 33's on stock gears for the time being. It's alright for city driving, but on the freeway you hardly use 5th gear. Great ground clearance though.

Mike.

1987 Toyota 4x4
Lots of pictures and stuff at :
http://www.geocities.com/vdubster1/

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wheeling wont be too hot either. I have tried them and they are very liveable while saving up for gears. It puts a lot of stress on your clutch which is ok if you are gonna run stock gears for a short amount of time. I guess I shouldn't say stress, it just wears the clutch down faster. It wont affect the timming chain.

·
1,269 Posts
Increased clutch wear will occur even on a performance clutch. The gears in your '87 are most likely 4:10s. If you want a cheap upgrade to a slightly higher gear ratio, newer 4Runners came with 4:56s which would compliment your 33s nicely. I know several people who run 33s with their stock gears and have no intention of upgrading. I even hear some idiot once had 35s on stock 4:10 gears... some people.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
92 Posts
I must be a super idiot.
I'm running 36's with 4.37 gears and dual cases.

I say run whatever works for you and upgrade when/if you want. Trying it can't hurt though.

Corey

------------------
44044's AOR's spool n stuff.......

·
Registered
193 Posts
ummm.....yeah but you have dual casses, so why the hell would you re-gear? Most people don't have dual casses, and I doubt this guy does.

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
I even hear some idiot once had 35s on stock 4:10 gears... some people.

Yea, Adam B. is an idiot running 35's on stock gears. I hear he is gonna change his handle to "Adam's Bad Ass Toy" and remove his front drive shaft.

JD

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have 33x12.50x10 on my 90 4Runner 22RE 5spd
Stock gears, I like the ratio in 5th on the hwy, I just need the torque to turn those wheels when I start up an incline. Although you can't really build a torque 22RE engine that will overcome a gearing deficiency, I find that the gearing is still acceptable and with a rebuilt planned I'd rather put my money into a good rebuild, header, intake etc then re gearing.

MHO

pony

------------------
Pony

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's true. It's true.

Thank god I don't have IFS, eh?

Leave Dax alone. He's just a nice guy without a shaft.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by Jordan:
I hear he is gonna change his handle to "Adam's Bad Ass Toy" and remove his front drive shaft.

JD
Hahahahaha!

I drove with 33's and 4.10's for months before I could afford gears and lockers... I didn't really notice it around town, but I sure noticed it on the Coquihalla (1st gear! lol) and when attempting to crawl.

Hey Adam, sell me your front drive shaft, I need a spare...

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had 33's and stock gears in my 85 toy I found it a lot slower accelerating and trying to spin the tires in gravel and mud, with 31's and stock gears i could spin the tires in second and had no luck spinnin them in second with the 33's but I would still run 33's over 31's anyday, and about 35's and stock gears I test drove a 85 4runner set up that way and i could hardly get out of first going up the littlest hill because it had no power, I recomend never doing that.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A simple re-gearing will give you much better results than pouring money into a re-build, headers, exahust and other engine related yahoos.

Now as far as these 4.56 thirds go, how much do they generally retail for at a wrecker? What year did they make 4.56 standard. I don't want to go pull two and have to figure out wether or not they are different ratios stock from Toyota.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i've got 33x10.5s on my 92 with stock gears. i only notice a difference going up hills at low speeds. i'm having a tough time justifying the $ it will cost me to change my gearing around.

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I find 31's are the best for stock gears even though they are small. I have a buddy that's running 33's on his and it bogs off the line. I can also climb a lot better with my 31's than he can. I personally won't go to 33's or 35's without changing gears.

------------------
Peter
82 Toy, 31" 10.5's, header, Flowmaster, K&N, but still pretty stock

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run 35's with 4:56 i would like a lower ratio but due to the weak aftermarket gears i will keep toyota's stock gears cause they are around 30-40% stronger then any aftermarket gears.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
im currentaly running 33s with 529s right now. not really sure how well it will work yet thought, probabally reving nice n' high in the highway...as im still looking for a wiring harness for an 89 22re 4runner, motors dont like to run without it./

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Greg:

Hey Adam, sell me your front drive shaft, I need a spare...

Sure...and let me get it lengthened for you too!...and it really makes a cool sound when you try to go over 30km/h in 4wd, not to mention the soothing massage.

And about the gears/tires thing...by the time I air down to single digits, those tires are like 30's. It's just on the street that I'm beating the hell out of my clutch...oh well...that's what it's for.

Update: WOW! I was just out there looking at my truck and it appears I have a 5th gear! Who knew? Maybe one day I'll get to use it...

[This message has been edited by Adam B (edited February 14, 2002).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts