BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if a set of 33x12.5 tires will fit on the stock toyota SR5 aluminum rims? I believe they're 7 inches wide. Is there a general rule of thumb for how much wider of a tire will fit on a certain width rim?

The reason I ask is that I'm going to be installing a bodylift soon so I can run 33's, but I don't have enough money at the moment to buy new rims along with tires. And there's a set of 33x12.5 Big O XT's for sale on this board that I'm sorta half looking at.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah they'll fit, but they will wear improperly, inner tread blocks wear out alot faster because of the bulge a 7in rim gives and they wil be prone to blowing off the rim, i wouldn't suggest doing it with a used tire, but if you're looking at BIG BAD PETES, his tires are pretty near new and wouldn't cause you problems if it were for a short period, 1-2months max. You want to get 8in wide atleast and ideal is 15x10 gives the tire a very square tread face and along with better wear, looks alot cooler, and leaves you with the option to get tires up to 15inches wide

·
1,269 Posts
Not trying to bias your opinion here... :D

... But I've run 35x12.5s on 15x7s before and never lost a bead, however I never took them below 12 psi. For what it's worth I'd probably get 15x8s anyways just for piece of mind. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Right now i got some 37's on my stock toy rims haven't noticed any wear probelms yet but i'am sure the middle will wear faster just wish i had the money to get 8 inch rock crawler rims.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey BigBadPete, did you notice any uneven tire wear with the narrow rims? Because the chances are that I won't be able to get new rims for at least a year... :( Already as it is, my GF is buying me the bodylift for my birthday, :D and I'm planning on selling my 31x10.5 Big O XT's w/ 80% tread, to pay for a good set of used tires like yours.

I never really air down to any extremes, not much more than ~17psi, so blowing a bead shouldn't be too much of a problem for me.

How much do you guys think I could sell my stock rims for? They're the aluminum ones and are in really good shape, except for one that has some minor scratches on it from spinning in the mud when I got stuck. Hmm... maybe I'll see about buying some used rims too

Thanks again :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
you are runing 1980 size rims? I am looking for some cheap 31" wheels.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've run heavily used 32x11.5 BFG muds on rims as narrow as 5.5" with no added wear to the center lugs, and run them as low as 10psi. Same for 32x10.5 Swampers. Never lost a bead, even when I ran them at 15psi on the street for several miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts