BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want some feed back on 35" tires. i have an 85 toy ext cab with 4" procomp sus lift, 3" trail boy, 2" shackles and i want some 35x14.5's. i have been thinking swampers, but also boggers, thornbirds, baja claws, and even just a 33x12.5 mud tire. what are some advantages or disadvantages of any of these tires. thanks for any info

------------------
what one sees as a dent, i see as a memory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You need to do more research. Thornbirds are a realy bad tire.If you want a tire thats for a daily driven truck then none of those tires would be good. There heavy and very noisy. If there for mostly offroad then swampers are good. You need to answer some questions to help make an informed descision: What terrain do I want a tire to perform best on(snow,ice,mud etc.),What gears and or engine do you have(do you have enough power to push 35x14.4 tires),Fuel economy,noise,etc.There are many questions and information that you should answer and gather before buying the tires. Just try to inform yourself before you spend your money.

·
1,269 Posts
35s are great. On a light truck like a Toy you can make a good set of mud tires last a nice long time (within reason). Swampers will obviously wear quicker, and hit your wallet harder. I'd say it comes down to how much you drive your truck and whether you have a different vehicle to drive around in most of the time. If that's the case you can make your tires last as long as you want

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by wheelsBB:
i want some feed back on 35" tires. i have an 85 toy ext cab with 4" procomp sus lift, 3" trail boy, 2" shackles and i want some 35x14.5's. i have been thinking swampers, but also boggers, thornbirds, baja claws, and even just a 33x12.5 mud tire. what are some advantages or disadvantages of any of these tires. thanks for any info

I like the Thornbirds myself, and figured by the looks of them they should wear fairly well. Because the lugs are bigger and deeper than a mud terrain i couldnt see them wearing any faster than an equally sized mud tire. Though TSL doesnt specify these as a mud tire , they look like they will out-perform any conventional mud tire money can buy.

·
1,269 Posts
I've seen the 33x12.5 Thornbird and the 35x14.5 Thornbird side by side and let me tell you, the 35 looks WAY meaner. The extra width really spaces those channels in the tread out to a nice size. Definetly a badass tire. The 33s don't do so well unfortunately.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
56 Posts
here is what I think.
super swampers - $1500 for a set of four 36 inchers.
mud kings - $600 for a set of four 35 inchers
at that price I can go through two full sets of mud kings for one set of swampers. and on my light little toy the mud kings had no sidewall problems. I have looked at the same dilemma you are in and made my decision. they might not look as impressive but for under half the price I can deal with that.

------------------
80/82/83 minipickup. chev350, th350, toyota t-case. lock-rite front, lincoln in the back. 2 inch body lift, re-arched springs, rancho 5000's. dual exhaust, homemade box, dual tanks 33's since dp took my 35's, for now.oh yeah and four rusty rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts