BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the help with the gears guys i went with the 5.29's. I want to run 35's on my truck i have a 22re stock engine with the gears will this be enough power to push them? Is there any key mods that will give alot more power? I do alot of driving to kelowna so i would like enough power to make it up hills at a reasonable speed. Anyone who has this set up could you tell me what you think. also with 35's does anyone know how the axles hold up? i drive my truck fairly hard when 4x4ing and was wondering if a torsion or track bar would be enough? thanks

brian

------------------
"power is the ultimate aphrodisiac"

·
1,269 Posts
If you have a solid axle up front you're going to want to be careful with the right pedal when your tires are turned all the way, or you run the risk of blowing a birfield. In addition to what mudrunner said, a cam and a good muffler are also good ways to make some more torque.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey pete thanks for the tips. Can you tell me a good place to get a new cam at and how much do they cost roughly?

------------------

[This message has been edited by smiles (edited March 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you don't mind me asking how much did the 5.29's cost? and where did you get them?

------------------
'81 yota sb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i got the gears from a buddy and were still working out a price. but he bought them from I.W.E. rearends only. I'll ask my buddy and post it later.

------------------

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I was talking with a guy with a 85 4runner with 5 29's 35" bfg m/t and lockers f/r and 22re ,and he put in a high performance cam and he put on a header, and high flow cat and exhaust, and he said if he re-did his engine again ,he would have not bothered with the cam, just tryin to help so u don't waste any money, but if u got a lot of money to spend its time for an engine swap.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
504 Posts
it all depends on what cam you get, ie powerband....also what other mods too, mass air flow should be tweaked in certain apps and also a vernier cam gear too dial it in 100%, especially if the head has been decked.decking the block or head throws the timing out just so you know. if you cant afford a adjustable gear, try slotting the holes but be carefull

------------------

·
Registered
412 Posts
http://www.media-north.com/4wd/mtech.htm

Best mod for the money, read the overbored throttle body one.

Mike.

------------------
FOR SALE:
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, 5.29's, new bearings, detroit rear, true trac front, allpro e brake, new 33's on 15x10 AR aluminums, front axle rebuild, bushwacker cut outs, locking tool box, extended shackles, SR5 buckets, lots of spare parts, email for pics.

[This message has been edited by MEK (edited March 07, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
If you live local to the lower mainland most people will tell you that Shadbolt makes the best cams for 22r's. The guy who used to make the cams for Shadbolt now has his own shop in Langely (or Aldergrove I don't remember) called Colt Cams. Check him out.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replys guys. does anyone know if ill get any axle wrap with 35's or is there just not enough power from the 22re to worry about it?

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts