BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my 4in susp lift today and it won't be here until monday so i want to install my body lift before it gets here. My body lift consists of just the three inch blocks, what else will i be needing to do this kit for my 85 K5 blazer?? It looks like i will need to drop the rad somehow and possibly lengthen my steering somehow? if so how should i go about doing so, and has anyone done this with their own K5 or chev p/u and what did you have to do to make everything LEGAL and work properly? The most important thing is the street legality of the modifications and safety issues. Thanks for any help.

------------------
It's notugly, it's a beautiful work in progress, and yes the rust is supposed to be there!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one has done this????

------------------
It's notugly, it's a beautiful work in progress, and yes the rust is supposed to be there!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by Mudhucker:
no one has done this????

I've helped out doing a body lift on a yj.Differennt vehicles but the body lift came with the drop down brackets for the exhaust and rad.We heated up the steering bar and pulled it out some.Don't know if this helps.But you would think someone has done this before in the lower mainland thats on the board.

------------------
If you can't stop....
smile as you go under!
99 XJ, 8" Sky-Jacker coils,leaves,yadda, yadda, yadda, 10" total 33"x12.5" MTR's = Divorce (?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did a 2 3/4 body lift on my scout. It may be similar to your Blazer.

1st I didn't drop the rad but did have to drop the fan shroud. Hasn't effected the tem at all.

2nd Of course I needed longer bolts for the mounts.

3rd The scout has a straight column that goes right through the fire-wall to a U joint. There is another short piece between the ujoint and the Rag joint.
1"lift - Where the scout steering column extends through the fire-wall there was a sleeve that held it in place. Had to loosen that off and push the whole steering column forward and through. This forces the angle into the Ujoint and eases up the angle and therefore the pressure on the rag-joint.

2+"lifts-A- Still to much pressure on the rag joint. In my case we cut a 8" square through the firewall that held the steering column and re welded it in place 2" lower.

-B- the other option that i've heard of for this is to cut the steering column inside the engine compartment and add in another ujoint.

-C- One other option I've also heard is to replace the rag-joint with a u-joint assembly.

4th Check all your lines and hoses that might we attached to the body. Some just needed there brackets loosend and slack pulled through but there were a couple that needed to be lengthend.

Well it was 4 years ago now so that's all I remember for now. There may be some other points I have forgotten.

------------------
4x4pics

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, sounds right to me, i'll give that a try and see, but i got my suspension lift today, so that might have to wait

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts