BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED HELP!!!!
I have a '88 YJ that needs a new engine, and am wondering if it is better to completly rebuild the 4.2 that I have in it or would it be better to put a V6 in it. Or any other suggetions that may help me out.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
put a 91+ 4.0l HO in you'll have to change tranny and t case I think or put a SBC or 4.3 in.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nope the 4.2L uses the same bellhousing pattern and spline counts as the 4.0L drivetrains and would be a direct bolt in .. it was the 2.5L fours that differed ... BTW any AMC V8 or I6 will bolt in place with the right engine mounts as they all share the same Bellhousing pattern.

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

[This message has been edited by Rockfrog (edited January 20, 2002).]

G

·
Apparently there are a few sensors you will have to find homes for in order to do the swap. Find someone else that is doing a swap with reatively low k's and throw that in.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"What the hell was that?!"
www.members.shaw.ca/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks everyone for your advice. I have came to the decision to put a 92+ 4.0 into my beast. Well, I guess now I am off to find all the parts needed. If anyone knows where or has any of the parts needed...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. And of course just like everyone else I am trying to do this for as little $$$$ as possible.

Thanks Again Everyone For Your Replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts