BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 SR5 4 Runner and lately ( since it started freezing in Whistler) it freezes or fogs up on the inside as well as the outside. It takes forever to get her heated up and defrosted in the morning. Anybody else have a condensation problem? Any suggestions? I'm thinking my seals are shot.+

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check and see if your heater is set to draw air from outside rather than recirculating the moist air from inside. I find it helps to open the drivers window a bit when driving as this cuts down on the moisture staying inside.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It may be your seals cause a friend of mine who owned a 1990 4runner had a small rip along one of his window seals so the window would not close properly and condensation would get in through there.
Hope this helps-Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

[This message has been edited by TOY CAPTAIN (edited December 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
check your antifreeze level and belts, also you might want a different thermostat.

------------------
84 xcab shortened 16inches, 3 lift, welded rear, 24$ paint, flatbed

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Jimmy J-Could you send me a pic or two of your flatbed? Iam about to get one built and would love to have a few more ideas.
thanks Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

·
Registered
376 Posts
Do you have A/C? If you do check to see if its working. Vehicles with A/C depend on the refigeration system to remove moisture in defrost mode and are designed differently than non A/C systems. My truck had this problem and when the A/C failed you could tell right away by how long it took to clear the windows.

Also check your floor mats for water maybe you have a water leak somewhere. Just my $.02

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
802 Posts
If it takes a long time to heat up, maybe your coolant level is low. As far as interior condensation goes, did you or someone else remove the moisture barrier from one of the doors, maybe to change a window? That's the heavy plastic sheeting that hangs between the door and the door panel. Removal is one of the causes of interior condensation.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
1,269 Posts
There's obviously some sort of hole between the outside and the inside (be it door stripping, door plastic, floor holes, firewall holes). I had a few hondas that had holes in the back and they were like a rain forest inside.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
387 Posts
i got the some prob! in an 86. it fogs up even when i'm driving in the back 2/3's of the runner?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whats the temp gauge reading?? Are you blowing warm air?? I just had a problem with my 87. The thermostat stuck open and heater didn't blow warm enough to clear windshield. Combined with leaving rear window open one rainy night had a bad fogging problem. Any moisture in the carpets can cause condensation on the glass. A little bit grows into alot in no time.

------------------
Loose nut behind the Wheel

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 91 SR5 4Runner and every now and again it takes forever to heat it up and it won't defrost at all. Well i solved the mystery a year ago. You have to take your glove box out and take some of your duct system apart until you can see the heater core. What happens to mine is there is a peice of foam with a metal frame in it(almost like coat hanger) that for some reason flaps infront of my heater core and won't move away not allowing any heat to go through it.

So just get in there with a long screw driver or something and move it away from the heater core and you won't beleive how fast it'll heat up. If it's like mine it will occur again. I have done this to mine 3 times so far, but you get pretty fast at it after the first time.

Good luck!!

------------------
Doh !!!!

·
1,269 Posts
Why not just remove the piece of foam altogether?

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would love to get rid of the damn peice of foam forever, but it's a very small opening to get into the heater core and all you can fit in there is a long screw driver. Like i said before, the foam has a steel frame in it that is connected to something in there.

Basically i would have to take apart a lot of stuff in my dash to get that thing right out of there, so it's easier to pop out my glove box and pull a bit of my duct work apart every few months than it would be to get rid of the foam for good.

------------------
Doh !!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem in my 92 4runner. There are 3 things that I would check. (1) is make sure your vent is not set on the recirculate setting as someone mentioned above. (2) make sure that your gutters are clean as pine needles etc can accumulate quite easily in behind the rubber seal above the doors and down to the windshield (3) I would check that you still have the rubber water deflector flap that deflects (bear with me with my description here) the water away from the tailgate seal. Mine is missing and therefore the water from snow/puddles mud etc. gets power washed at that seal and comes in from underneath the tailgate. it soaks the carpet back there (which i took out for that reason) and the carpet holds the moisture and fogs up the inside. (4) I find that when I sleep back there or come back from boarding with all me body heat that it is a problem too. Maybe you could try buying the window visors and leaving your window open a crack if none of the other tips help. If yours is bad, and you have a NICE 4runner (unlike my beast) you may want to remove the plastic door sill and lift the carpet to check to see if it is wet under there...if so, you should fix this problem before your floors start to rust like mine.

Hope this helps

Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts