BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my truck into 4-hi (92 Yj), you have to really pull back hard on the lever, and it doesn't like to shift on the fly, at higher speeds (60+ km/h). If you pull back halfway, it makes a groaning, grinding noise from below. I read the other thread from the guy with the '87 Yj, could this be a vacuum disconnect problem? Thanks....

------------------
'92 YJ Sahara, 4.0 L, Rock-It intake, Splitfire plugs, Dynomax cherry bomb, KC's on the windshield frame, saggy springs, numerous scratches, excessive stereo.....and some fresh U-joints and pinion seal, mmmmmmmmmm :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will put money on it NOT being a vaccuum problem. Sounds to me like 1] low on oil.
2] shift fork is worn. 3] you have ware on the syncro gear in the t-case and or gears are worn in t-case.

Now what would I go with worn Syncro gears. But can't say without seeing them.
Good luck

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, man, appreciate it. I will have to look into these things...

------------------
'92 YJ Sahara, 4.0 L, Rock-It intake, Splitfire plugs, Dynomax cherry bomb, KC's on the windshield frame, saggy springs, numerous scratches, excessive stereo.....and some fresh U-joints and pinion seal, mmmmmmmmmm :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agree with Ramsey - sounds to be it.

If you are moving at SIXTY KMPH you should not be shifting into 4WL anyways - you are really giving the vaccuum lines and everything a LOT of hell.

If you need to get into 4WL, I would suggest stopping, and beggining from a standstill, so you don't abuse anything.

Personally, I would NEVER on the fly into 4WL at even 30kmph.
4WH yes - up to 60, low... I would say no.

Good luck - baby the Jeep. She's expensive to fix.

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why would you want to shift into 4WD at 60+km/h anyway???

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 33X12.5 tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
If it's more of a grinding noise, it could be your vacuum disconnect not engaging the collar around the two passenger-side front axle shafts.

When disengaged, the front driveshaft doesn't turn. If you try to shift your tcase into 4WD with the rear driveshaft turning and the front stationary, there will be a whole lot of grinding because the two shafts are at very different speeds.

Can you shift your Jeep into 4wd from a stop or at very low speeds? If so, then do it, and then, jack up the passenger side wheel and try to turn it by hand. It should not turn because it is locked to the front driveshaft. If it does turn, then you have a problem with the disconnect.

Anyone know if the motor has to idle to maintain the vacuum for this test?? I think it will be ok with the motor off.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by rosscolad:
When I put my truck into **4-HI** (92 Yj),
I would never shift into 4-Lo at speed, I am not a complete moron...
Lars thanks for the info, appreciate it. I will try that test that you mentioned. Up where I live, the roads can be clear one second, and slippery as hell the next, sometimes it is handy to be able to shift on the go. I used to be able to, anyways. If I stop and put it into 4-Hi it works o.k. as long as I reef on the lever.

------------------
'92 YJ Sahara, 4.0 L, Rock-It intake, Splitfire plugs, Dynomax cherry bomb, KC's on the windshield frame, saggy springs, numerous scratches, excessive stereo.....and some fresh U-joints and pinion seal, mmmmmmmmmm

[This message has been edited by rosscolad (edited February 28, 2002).]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Lars you could be correct, however he did mention that it was difficult to pull back on the t-case shifter. In my mind that would make the problem an internal one in the t-case. All that the cam in the t-case does is reverse the suction on the line to the shift motor. So if he is having a problem pulling on the handle wouldn't you think the problem lies in the t-case.

Just a thought?

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like your problem is in the transfer case, mine will shift into 4H and 4L, I can tell by the engine revs but I know I don't have 4x4 cause on snowy roads my rear end slides all over the place even in 4L....I still have to look and see what exactly is the problem, but if its the shift motor, does anyone know how much it costs to replace, and where to get one from(apart from Chrysler!)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts