BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just bought a 1990 4runner. its in mint shape and i want to build it up. i have a set 33" boggers on some rims, the thing is i dont know how high i should go wiht a lift. i need some advice, can i just get a kit to cut the fenders out, or a body lift instead of an expencive suspention lift?
please help, im a motocross'er in the off seson and i need somthing to do!!!

------------------
i just wrote off my 1988 toyota pick up! i need a 1990 4runner thats loaded and has neaver been in an accident!

·
Registered
222 Posts
A 3 inch body lift should do the job. Then crank the torsion bars a little in the front. And a longer shackle in the back. This is the super cheap way to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'v heard that a body lift isn't as good as a suspention lift, what do you think al that would cost if i got a shop to do it?
thanx

------------------
i just wrote off my 1988 toyota pick up! i need a 1990 4runner thats loaded and has neaver been in an accident!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It's not worth the money for an IFS lift because it won't give you that much more flex. so go with the Body lift and put the extra money into a locker

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok, where should i buy a body lift?
i hear lordco is a good place, or on the internet? how much should i expect to pay for it?

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well if you have the money for an IFS lift you should maybe save up for an SAS.Then you wouldn't have the crappy IFS.Body lifts are ok I have one in mine and haven't had any problems.Body lifts and IFS suspension lifts are easy to do.Just a bunch of drop brackets for the IFS and it is easy to put the blocks in for body lifts then all you have to do is move rad maybe extend brake lines etc.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
when i put a 3"body lift into my 83 p/u the only thing i had to do was trim the hole for the shifters and tweek the left side inner fenderwell where the steering shaft rubbed a bit. as for breaklines etc, they all come with a coil or two between the frame and the body so they'll stretch a bit
oh yeah and you might have to cut your gas tank hose so that you can splice an extra piece into it, it may or may not bind. one last thing is the fuel line from the firewall to the filter, it should have enough slack in it but may require a mod

dont worry too much about it though, they are really easy to install (i used a high lift to jack up the body) and i payed 50 bucks for 10 pucks (four were aluminum) and "found" some bolts nuts and washers

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't take this as fact cause I'm not exactly sure about it...

I was looking around on one of the other boards a couple months ago (either 4x4wire.com or off-road.com) and there was a fellow on there with a IFS pickup and he managed to fit 33's on without a body or susp. lift.

If I remember correctly, he had to crank to torsion bars to a certain point, add shackles onto the back springs and pretty much modify his entire front fender to get them to fit but he did it.

Note I don't endorse any of this and you could probably find out more if you asked around on those other boards for teh guys website.

Good luck

------------------
88 4runner, 22RE, stock and slow for now...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i've got a 92 p/u with an add-a-leaf and cranked torsions bars. i'm running 33x10.5s with no rubbing. the 12.5s probably would rub a bit, but with some slight mods, i bet you could make it work. if you're gonna do a lot of off roading, i'd sell your 33s and go with 31s or maybe even 32s.

------------------
'tis a bonny cereal, BUT IT'S NOT OATMEAL!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I as well ran 33" Interco's with no rubbing and no lift. (See small picture at left). I trimmed the fenders, and bashed the seam in the inner front fender well, got some +2" offset steel wheels and whamo, no problem. Even full lock, full compress up front no rubbing.

Don't do the body lift, don't do it!! Later on when you realize you need a suspension lift (IFS or solid) you'll just going to have to take it back out. Anyone remeber KMA? He had to pull the 3" because it wouldn't pass VI with it in.

Also, I doubt I need to cut the fenders to make it work, I just had a little surface rust starting so I cut it off.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do the SAS, run 35"s much nicer.(Chick's dig big trucks)

------------------
"84"4runner,35's 6"lift,5:29's-welded in to one solid block of spiders.

I don't wanna roll,I don't wanna roll,GOD please don't let me roll!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am running 32 11.5 15's on my stock 90 4Runner and have had no problems. I would think minimal lift or modifying to run 33's. My Runner came with 31's originally and the BFG A/T are 32's but actually measured on vehicle they are 31.5. Not all tires are what they claim to be and so 33's may fit cause they might be 32's or so. My $.02 worth.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx guys for all your help, i have found a 4" suspension life for $1000. the thing is, will i have to extend the brake lines? and will this hurt the cv joints?

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Is your 1990 4runner coil or leaf sprung in the rear? If it's coils then $1000 is a good deal. 33" Boogers will measure up bigger than most other 33's out there, so a 4" suspension lift is a good idea over the body lift, but more expensive. Also, if at some point down the road you decide you want nutty amounts of wheel travel just like these guys said you're going to want to ditch the IFS but if you've got the cash right now do it and decide later.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes you will have to extend brake lines.

In order to save your CV's you HAVE to switch to manual locking hubs (very cheap, go to a wrecker and pull some off of an 86-90 or somehting, very simple swap too).

I owned an IFS truck and I wouldn't put a suspension lift in it. Theres really no point. For 200 bucks you can get a 2 inch lift, then throw some shcakles on the back and crank your t-bars and you can fit 33's.....you have to get new wheels though ofcourse. I forget the backspacing you need, but you will need new wheels if you put a suspensions lift in it as well, so include that in your budget. That is ofcourse if you want to run 12.5 inch wide tires ( I am assuming you want to), if you are going to run skinnier then you don't have to have new wheels.

In short, for 200 bucks you can acheive the same as a suspension lift for 1500.

In the end your still stuck with IFS. So why pour senseless money into it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh right you have coils. No problem, just throw in some 2 inch coil spacers with the body lift and you will be fine. If you have the money for an IFS lift why not just save a little more and swap in a solid axel?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, i have the money for a suspention lift. how much more will a SAS cost?
i'v heard that they are around $3000 if you get a shop to do it. but i think i could do some of it myself like cutting the ifs out and stuff. basically, whats it goin ot cost to do a good job at? like i want to save some money right, but i want a really good truck thats been done right when im done eh
so i duno, i might just do a full SAS if its around the same $$$$

------------------

·
Registered
544 Posts
just a few things
KMA's truck still has the 3" body lift in it and it passed the inspection.
I would sugest saving that 1000$ and putting it towards SAS.
You can run stock rims with 12.5s on a IFS lift,you just have to grind down the edge of the upper control arm.
If you do the SAS it would,IMO loose the coils in the back,unless you change the links(length) and there mounting points.

------------------
I now collect my pay cheque's from the dark side
I am Blue oval,certified,Fucted!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
------------------
I now collect my pay cheque's from the dark side
I am Blue oval,certified,Fucted!!

[This message has been edited by Dan O (edited January 11, 2002).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts