BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently entertaining purchasing a 1994 or 1995 Ford Explorer (4X4). I have tested drove 3 Explorers, all of them when in 4 high or 4 low has a tremendous grinding noise when I turn the wheels to the extreme right or left. Is this a normal noise for the Explorer? Does it cause any damage or is this an indication there is already something wrong with the vehicle? I currently own a 1988 S10 Blazer (4X4) and it does not do this.

Has anyone with an (4X4) Explorer experienced this?

Lonnie

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If it is grinding, it can not be good. But if it is just a wail noise coming from the powersteering, that is normal Ford. It generally makes this noise when there is any strain on the steering, just to let you know the power steering is working. Ford guys know when that noise stops, you are in trouble.
Again, I do not think there should be any grinding.

Wes

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you on dry pavement? This no slip surface will cause the u-joints to bind. You can't turn sharply in 4wheel drive on dry pavement.

Cheers

Dale

·
Registered
583 Posts
That doesn't sound normal but like Wes said it could be the power steering pump. Check out www.4x4central.com it is a really good Explorer web page with a very active message board.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts