BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonderin the differances if any on motor mounts, bell housing bolt pattern, etc. thanks

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
okay, I'll bite this one.

A 5.0 is a 302. A motor mount that fits a 302 will fit a 5.0.

What are you asking? Mustang 302 versus truck 302 or what? The truck uses a different bellhousing to fit a bigger clutch, and the motor mounts are different between truck and car obviously but they'll all bolt on to either engine.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled.
69 Ford, big tires.
72 Datsun 510, old and ugly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmm, maybe he's talking about what happened to the 5.0 in '94.

The 5.0L/302 engine has pretty much the same block from the mid 60s until 93. After that the block was redesigned to make a smaller engine for the 94+ Mustangs.

Aside from that, I think all pre-94 engines have compatible bolt patterns, motor mounts, heads, and pretty much everything else.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to clearify I got a toyota and I am planing on doing a v8 swap i got a chevy 283 but i just found out about a 302 i can get. there is plenty of info on a 5.0L swap but not too much on the 302. just wondering what is the same

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jamie, "5.0L" and "302" are two names for the same engine. It's like saying 5.7L versus saying 350, when you're talking about the famous Chev V8.

There's no difference, because they're the same thing - just two different names.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:

Jamie, "5.0L" and "302" are two names for the same engine. It's like saying 5.7L versus saying 350, when you're talking about the famous Chev V8.

There's no difference, because they're the same thing - just two different names.

Chris

just remember that late model blocks use roller cams & pedestal mount rocker arms, not interchangeable with early 289,302

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:

Jamie, "5.0L" and "302" are two names for the same engine. Chris

Yeah thats what I said the first time.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled.
69 Ford, big tires.
72 Datsun 510, old and ugly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a 5.0 in my truck and the only 3 problems I incontered was my original 302 flywheel wouldn't work because of the balance.
secound problem had to put on a electric fuel pump.
third was 5.0 came from a mustange so it was a roller motor so my original distributer gear wasn't compatable with the roller cam. I just went to the local speed shop and ordered the correct gear from crane. ( you cant use the gear off the 5.0 dist. because the shaft on the 5.0 dist. is larger.)

·
Chump
624 Posts
When I put a late model 5.0 engine in my RX7 I changed to a carb and I used the gear from the new distributor and made a brass sleeve to make it fit the smaller shaft on the older distributor.

jd

Originally posted by mpro:
.. you cant use the gear off the 5.0 dist. because the shaft on the 5.0 dist. is larger.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts