BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my pickup didnt end up selling, yet... so while im gonna use it, i figure i might as well fixer up good. anyone done the ford 5.0L swap on a 81 pickup? how hard is it? is it worth it? what are the mileage figures? what year did ford make the best 5.0L to drop in a yota? i have a 3" body lift so the clearanc height wise should be taken care of...do i have to get out the sawz-all? do i need to put new engine mounts in? HHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I dont know specifics, but word is if your goin got use a Stang' 5L best year is 88. Yes you will need new motor mounts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
88s suck get 89 90 91 92 93 better on gas stang 88 bad on gas but little more power

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?

·
1,269 Posts
I believe (and I am probably very wrong) that the 89,90, and 91 had forged pistons good for an extra 15 horsies. And you're gonna need a whole lot more than new motor mounts. Thought about what you're going to use for a transmission/t-case? How about what V8 power does to birfields? Here's a second gen 'Runner with a 5.0L, this guy really did a job and a half on it: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/ho.htm

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.

G

·
Dont forget that guys have been swapping in small block chevies into these toyotas for quite a while. A guy here in town has a 350 in his 82 and runs 35's as well. AFAIK he has had no problems with his birfields. However, he has taken out a u-joint or two

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by NewToyo:
..A guy here in town has a 350 in his 82 and runs 35's as well. AFAIK he has had no problems with his birfields. However, he has taken out a u-joint or two
I don't know where your town his but I bet he does not wheel it hard.

jd

·
Registered
12 Posts
advanceadapters.com is where i've seen this conversion.

------------------
84 4runner 4"susp, 3"body, 35"m/ts, header with flow master containing a few patches, a little duct tape here and there,cb, in need of motor and body work

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive reserched v8 swaps for 6 months now and talked to tons of different people ,and have herd from most that a v8 is not the way to go unless its a bush buggy and this is coming from people with v8s.to maintane a proper fan rad suport mods should be done ,if you want to go fuel injection all fuel lines and electric pump must be added ,alt has to be wired in ,custum power steering hoses,new drive shafts because the transfer case gets moved back etc etc etc . if you want more power go to a post 89 4.3 good power and the rest of your drivetrane wont become a week link .and the dude you talked to with v8 that dosnt brake much stuff must drive like a girl because my buddys that have done the convertion have blown up everything twice over .just my 2 cents ,but dont get me wrong a 5L in a toy would be sweet but too costly to mainttain unless you get cruzer diffs and all v8 drive train

G

·
Naaa, he doesnt drive like a girl, his truck is just well built. Of course we are comparing apples to oranges as northern BC wheeling differs greatly from the wheeling you guys do down south. Up here its mostly mud and snow, while you guys deal with a whole different animal. Rock crawling is generally suicide to birfield joints, as well as most any other joints.

BTW, I tend to take the more conservative approach to wheeling anyway. I dont think putting the loud pedal to the floor and tearing up trails and destroying drivetrains is particularly fun. Do you?

·
Chump
624 Posts
The 5.0 Toy I know if started out as a Forerunner, was rolled and is now a P/U.
-it is a 1969 Block/heads, carb
-T5 with an adapter to fit stock toy t-case
-stock axles
-daily driver and passed inspection recently
Overheating is not a problem now that the pulleys are no longer slicing into the rad

The only weak point is breaking the occasional birf (welded front diff+33" swampers+V8).

Everyone has their own opinion and experiences...all you can do is take note of everyones input and come to your own decision on what you think will work best for your situation.

Originally posted by tony:
Ive reserched v8 swaps for 6 months now and talked to tons of different people ,and have herd from most that a v8 is not the way to go unless its a bush buggy and this is coming from people with v8s.to maintane a proper fan rad suport mods should be done ,if you want to go fuel injection all fuel lines and electric pump must be added ,alt has to be wired in ,custum power steering hoses,new drive shafts because the transfer case gets moved back etc etc etc . if you want more power go to a post 89 4.3 good power and the rest of your drivetrane wont become a week link .and the dude you talked to with v8 that dosnt brake much stuff must drive like a girl because my buddys that have done the convertion have blown up everything twice over .just my 2 cents ,but dont get me wrong a 5L in a toy would be sweet but too costly to mainttain unless you get cruzer diffs and all v8 drive train

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you drive like a normal person the birfields will hold up. The guy Jordan is talking about really wheels hard (bouncing it off the rev limiter!) and yes he does break the odd one!

so do I and I have a 4.3v6!

the 5.0 is a very nice swap due to its narrow block size.

------------------
IRC member
'83 toyota truck, customized :)

·
Chump
624 Posts
True, he breaks the odd one. But when he is bouncing it off the rev limiter he is smart about it and does not do it while he has his wheels cranked all the way to one side....and when he does he will promptly hop out and change the birfield.

Originally posted by Chet:
if you drive like a normal person the birfields will hold up. The guy Jordan is talking about really wheels hard (bouncing it off the rev limiter!) and yes he does break the odd one!

so do I and I have a 4.3v6!

the 5.0 is a very nice swap due to its narrow block size.

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by NewToyo:
Naaa, he doesnt drive like a girl, his truck is just well built. Of course we are comparing apples to oranges as northern BC wheeling differs greatly from the wheeling you guys do down south. Up here its mostly mud and snow, while you guys deal with a whole different animal. Rock crawling is generally suicide to birfield joints, as well as most any other joints.
Unless he's running the new super birfs (which I don't even know if you can get yet) it won't matter how built his truck is. And it's not rock crawling that kills birfields, it's turning the tires, so it really doesn't matter what conditions you're in.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm just finishing up a 4.3 litre np465 and 205 swap into my 89 p/u. Few of the problems have included building the oil-pan, buying motor mounts (build your own, trust me), making power steering lines, clutch lines, buying a pulling clutch slave cylinder, making the tranny fit, the shifters fit, the hei fit, finding a rad that works, manifolds that fit, hooking up all new guages, hooking up the propane, finding an oil filter adapter (latest problem), getting driveshafts made all kinds of differents joints, shafts, tubes, and building a crossmember. That's just some of the stuff off the top of my head.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
Registered
23 Posts

More pics of the buildup here: http://www.rivercityrockcrawlers.com/TechReports/MoPower/

I don't have many miles on it but in no way do I regret it. Forget it if you think you are just going to swap an engine though! Nice thing about the 5.0 is it has a complete engine harness so wiring it is simple really.

I solved the radiator clearance issue by putting it in the back

------------------
Brandon Miller

RCRC webmaster
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts