BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this for some time now and I have still not found a clear answer.

My question is:

Is there a physical difference between the front and rear ring & pinions in a tracker? Can I simply use the front and rear R&P in the front and rear of my samurai (with the use of a can and spacer of course)?

I have a donor tracker and will be taking the gears from it, but I keep reading that everyone only uses the front gears...why not the rear R&P?

Any clarification would be most helpful.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the front & rear ring and pinion are not interchangeble.
if you are planning to install them in a sammy you will need 2 sets of front ring & pinions. I hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zukin, that was exactly the clarification I needed.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
yeah the rear is bigger diameter.. front needs a can to hold cross pins in, and the spacer is to space out the ring a bit so it's easier to line up with the pinion (or POSSIBLE to line up...anyway)..

Apparently you can bolt up a front 3rd from a tracker into the front of a samurai without any modification...so i've heard.. the reason you can't bolt one up to the rear is because sammy rears are 26 spline where as the front is 22 spline (axleshafts)

·
Registered
345 Posts
you can bolt the bolt the track/kick front 3rd into the samy front or rear housing.
you will have to change the side gears if you want to put into the rear.
there is no real advantage in doing this, the stock sami carriers are steel and stronger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you could build a hybrid rear axle with the rear tracker rp and the sami housing . trail tough offers this as a kit . u need the tracker housing and cut off the axle tubes then take the sami housing and have the welds where the tubes slide into the housing machined off then slip those axletubes into the tracker housing and weld it up . u keep your factory brakes and e-brake and spring perches it bolts rite in . bigger rp bigger bearings bigger tires

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
you could build a hybrid rear axle with the rear tracker rp and the sami housing . trail tough offers this as a kit . u need the tracker housing and cut off the axle tubes then take the sami housing and have the welds where the tubes slide into the housing machined off then slip those axletubes into the tracker housing and weld it up . u keep your factory brakes and e-brake and spring perches it bolts rite in . bigger rp bigger bearings bigger tires
Maybe i'm missing something but y'know what I would do LONG before doing this?

Weld spring perches onto a tracker rear end and call it good.. Sure the tracker rear is wider but..not that much wider

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe i'm missing something but y'know what I would do LONG before doing this?

Weld spring perches onto a tracker rear end and call it good.. Sure the tracker rear is wider but..not that much wider
I had done that before the hybrid axle and i ran into driveshaft vibration problems due to the t-case offset and the tracker centered rear diff . i had a buddy who narrows axles for race cars so we just looked at the trail tough pics and then fabbed it up . from the time i pulled it out till i startd bolting it up was like four hours . but that was in a shop on a hoist and air tools and the machine shop just down the road

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
ahh yes the offset diff.. don't guys run sammy cases with toy rear ends pretty frequently? do they experience a lot of vibe?

I guess if you can line it up so you can use stock samurai axleshafts it would be a worthwhile endeavour.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ahh yes the offset diff.. don't guys run sammy cases with toy rear ends pretty frequently? do they experience a lot of vibe?

I guess if you can line it up so you can use stock samurai axleshafts it would be a worthwhile endeavour.
I have heard they do in the short wheel base ones with the toy axles.The sami i built the hybrid was a short wheel base model. the sami i have now is a long wheelbase one with toy axles and i dont have and bad vibes from that . but i am looking at cutting and turning the knuckles up front as my caster is at .8 of a degree and is giving me a wobble at speeds over 110 . but that is due to the fact im lifted alot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.