BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the 22RE died in my 87 Runner this winter, so i have been looking around and recently aquired a mostly complete 82 supra with the 5MGE.

From what i've been reading everything will bolt up. so just a few questions.

Does anyone have some good insite on how to do the wiring on this thing?

Also from what i can see the fuel line come up on the drivers side on the 5mge but it comes up on the pass. side on the 4runner. what have you done for this?

The radiator is also in question, not sure what to do about that.

any help would be great

·
Registered
157 Posts
www.supracharged.com is a great start. It's an easy swap. If you can wire a cd player you can wire a 5MGE. Yes you do have to switch the fuel line and clutch cylinder lines to the drivers side. With the correct engine mounts (which you should have already from supra) and the rubber mounts from your truck, that thing will fit like a glove. It's a good swap. Manual supra trans bellhousing bolts on 4cyl 4x4 trans. Check out supracharged....... it's all you'll need

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well the 4x4wire site is nice but not very detailed and the supracharged site is mostly for the 7mg. not much info there for the guy trying to put in a 5MGE.

does anyone have a link to the 82 Supra toyota service manual?

or anyone actually running a 5MGE that could help with first hand experience?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd get rid of the 5mge and try something else . They don't make any power until you rev the piss out of them then you end up breaking **** all the time .

·
Registered
157 Posts
from what i've heard toyota's engine wire harness/ecu has roughly the same colour mapping from 5-7M. You can always chase wires if unsure. there's only about 8 (can't quite remember as I wired mine into a first gen truck and used alot of relays & fuses from the donor car) wires you need to run that motor. It looks confusing, but once you get into it you'll wonder why you asked so many questions. I was the same until I actually started into it. As for the power of a 5m it does fall a little short of it's bigger brother the 7m. But it makes more than a 22re. By the time you get the motor out and dash apart in the donor you'll have a great idea of how simple it really is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the engine is ready to come out, all electrical is unplugged. i've been trying to trace wires but have been getting fustrated looking at all the wires.

guess i'll just yank the motor and put it in the runner, that'll make me work a little harder to get it runnin.

i know the 5m is not as good compared to the 7m but this is bieng done on a budget and i bought the supra for 250. i couldn't find a running 7m for less that 1000 and then i'd still have to buy all the 5m mounts and flywheel, bellhousing and shi*. anyways the 5m is going in until i find a nice 7m and then it's an easy transplant.

any other advice?

·
Registered
568 Posts
5mge is the win, 7m's are notorious for blown hgs or poor maintence. lots of torque from the 5m also, this high revving and breaking things notion is rediculous. Do a search over on yotatech.com and you should find some more swap info. depending on the lift in your truck the oilpan might be an issue.

on a side note the 82 5mge that you have is a much simpler electronics setup than later 83 up motors, lots of vac lines but you have the advantage of a nice simple vac advance distributor. do alot of searching and im sure you wont have many issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
most of the wires past the fire wall are for lights, heat, radio, dash and other sh*t in the car. Basically all you need to do is power the ecu and hook your guages up. And you're right once the 5mge is in your rig it's a huge motivation to get-r-done. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the way you say that makes it sound so easy

do i have to run wires to the guages or starter, fuel relay? Or is everything spliced in right at the 4runners computer plugs?

engine is out, now time to clean it and it looks like it has a nice rear main seal leak after taking the tranny off.

anything else to take note of while its out?

Next is tearing the old 22re from the truck:popcorn

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey dude, Does the supra have the same output spline as your tranny. Or do you need some kind of adaptor. Just making sure the basics R covered. I changed the input on my rear case to 23 spline, It was not to bad. Also don't you have to mod your motor/frame mount (little longer + a couple inches forward) Looks like a cool swap....I was thinking 3rz but, they only made a few all in the USA. Once U R settup for the supra engine its all good. You can get a longblock from japan with 90k for $600!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey dude, Does the supra have the same output spline as your tranny. Or do you need some kind of adaptor. Just making sure the basics R covered. I changed the input on my rear case to 23 spline, It was not to bad. Also don't you have to mod your motor/frame mount (little longer + a couple inches forward) Looks like a cool swap....I was thinking 3rz but, they only made a few all in the USA. Once U R settup for the supra engine its all good. You can get a longblock from japan with 90k for $600!
nope, no adapters needed... just have to put the supra bellhousing on the 4runners tranny and 22re motor mounts on the supra engine and.... it bolts right in.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the way you say that makes it sound so easy

do i have to run wires to the guages or starter, fuel relay? Or is everything spliced in right at the 4runners computer plugs?

engine is out, now time to clean it and it looks like it has a nice rear main seal leak after taking the tranny off.

anything else to take note of while its out?
bump... anyone

·
Registered
157 Posts
OK I'm not a veteran on this swap but I have done a 7M. I just put mine in a first gen pick up so my wiring is alot different than what you're doin. I had nothing to start with... I basically laid the car harness in the truck after figuring what i needed and didn't need. But if I remember correctly The starter wires are all controlled through the ECU. Your guage wires run through the fire wall with the ECU harness but don't plug in the ECU. My truck wasn't an SR5 so I never worried much about guages. I just used the first gen truck harness and sending units from the 20r. most of your relays will have to be tied into the new ECU to run it. So short form all you should have to do in your truck is have access to existing wires near stock ECU and tie them in. I just printed off the instructions from supracharged and did it one wire at a time ( it sucks but it's worth it!). There was a guy on there that did a 5M swap. I think he just piggy backed the cars harness at the ignition though. That's another option I guess.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks boyota for the info... i've been looking at it and it shouldn't be that hard i HOPE.

so now i have the 5mge hanging in the engine bay and the EGR valve is hitting my dual diaphram brake booster. any ideas on what to do here? should i just pound the brake booster in a bit? looks like at least an inch it would have to go back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
thanks boyota for the info... i've been looking at it and it shouldn't be that hard i HOPE.

so now i have the 5mge hanging in the engine bay and the EGR valve is hitting my dual diaphram brake booster. any ideas on what to do here? should i just pound the brake booster in a bit? looks like at least an inch it would have to go back.
I used the booster from a first gen truck. They're a little smaller than later generations, and the brake master is interchangable with what ya got. it's another interchangable toyota part that fits. You can try to ding the other one in but an inch seems like alot. You can always try and if not get a first gen one. I have a couple if you need one. I'll need $50 for it though. I'm in kelowna and would have to drive to my shop in kamloops for the part. $40 in gas and $10 for the part.

·
Registered
568 Posts
build a block off for the egr and also block off where the egr enters the rear of the head. my 5mge runs alot smoother without but it had 200 000k on it :/

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes that would be great if i lived in quesnel, i live in the mainland and have to deal with aircare so the egr has to stay on

·
Registered
157 Posts
yes that would be great if i lived in quesnel, i live in the mainland and have to deal with aircare so the egr has to stay on
so try a booster off a first gen pickup (79-83). I'd love to get you the diameter of it for you, but mine is 230km away from me. my guess is 8-10 inches. probly closer to 8 i'd guess. These older boosters also come with an aluminum spacerplate. This plate can be ground down some to bring your booster closer to the firewall. just be carefull not to take too much or you won't be able to adjust it correctly. Or you can kill 2 birds with one stone...=bodylift. that should make room for EGR and give more room for tires too. Does anyone reading this know the diameter of a first gen pickups brake booster or be able to measure thiers? This Kronic could use some help!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts