BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what kind of five speed tranny will bolt up to my 22r in my 81 toy? my tranny is screwed and i really need to get on putting in a new tranny. the 5spd out of a two wheel drive wont work right?

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
on your 81 there are lots of possibilities from the various years of Toy 5speeds. 84-up non fuel injected are a bit different though in that the tcase is different than yours. 85 and up trannies from fuel injected 4cyl engines will bolt up but you will have to relocate your crossmember because the tranny is longer. Driveshaft will need to be modified or you will have to find one from a wrecker. Sorry I can't remember the exact names of the 5 speeds...I think the earlier ones are W56 and the newer ones are G(something).

·
Registered
20 Posts
As stated above, ANY tranny that was originally behind a 20R, 22R/RE will work.

But.....You will have to use a tranny from 83 or earlier to NOT have to do any dshaft or xmember mods.

84-88 trucks with 22R used a G52 tranny.
84-88 trucks with 22RE used a W56.
85-88 trucks with 22RTE (turbo) used a R151.

Unfortunately, I'm not up on my 1st gen (pre-84) knowledge yet, since I only bought the 80 4 mos. ago on a lark.......

All three of these trannies are 5" longer than the earlier W and L series trannies from 79-83. They also have larger input bearings than the early trannies.

I swapped in a R151 tranny a week after I got my 80. I bought a BudBuilt crossmember, and alreday had all the other parts needed.
So it was an easy swap for me.

I used an 86 front Dshaft with the 80 slip yoke. It is too short, but works for daily driving. (I will be swapping front springs and moving the axle forward, so i'm holding off on addressing this).

I used a rear shaft from an 86 turbo pickup, and redrilled the 3rd member flange. (The turbo flanges are all a different size and bolt pattern than the 80's).
Only problem is, I only had about an 1 1/2"
of slip in the rear shaft before it bottomed out. Well, my springs settled, and it started bottoming all the time and pushing against the tranny. I havent fixed this yet, just stopped driving it till I do.

The R151 trannies tcase shifter is in the tranny tailhousing, same as the G52 from a carbed truck. This means you wont have to modify the cab floor like you would probably have to with a W56 tranny. Those tcases have the shifter in the top of the tcase, and is farther back from the tranny shifter.

The PO of my truck had already hacked up the floor in my cab, so I dont know if you will need to modify your's at all.......

HTH

------------------
Art

[This message has been edited by Cracker (edited December 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, now thats some good info! thanks there guy! so any 79-83 five speed will work w/out having to do mods but for any 84-up tranny i need to do some mods...hmmmm...i dont really want to do mods so ill look for a older 5spd, but if i cant find one then ill have to put alot of work into my truck...shes not really in the best shape as it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh yeah, on the early 5 spds.
I think there were a couple or three different ones....Theres quite a few shown in the factory microfiche....Good news is the cases all look different.

I'd take a look at your case, and try to match it up when you go to look for one.
And unfortunately, no, the 2WD 5 spds wont work.

Merry X-Mas to you too, eh?....

------------------
Art

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
89 4runner tranny/transfercase
with crossmember and rear half of front driveshaft, no leaks asking 500, offers?

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
223 Posts
83 and earlier 5-spead trannies are much weaker. stay with your 4-spead or use the 84 or newer 5-spead. Just my opinion (4 Toys in 5.75 years)

------------------
broken again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.