BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing possibly two engine swaps in my toyotas, one a 1983 long box, the other a 1985 extended cab. I don't know which to use a six or an eight? Of course the eight will provide more power but in turn be bad on gas. If anyone has done this swap can they please post some info.
Thanks

------------------
85 toy K/N air,header, 3"susp. 33BFG/MT Big stereo. Lights

·
Registered
416 Posts
Go with the V8.There isn't going to be much of an gas differense between the V6 and V8.I would put in an V8. There is another post in the toy section about this.Don't know how to do the quick referance or whatever but go back a couple of pages and you should find it.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

[This message has been edited by callan (edited February 13, 2002).]

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'kk throw a vote in for the V6. Chevy 4.3's can be milked for plenty of power, but they will not guzzel gas or break parts like a V8. There is also a lot more room to do the swap and more room to service the motor. If I were you though I would swap in a newer 3.4 Toyota V6. Those are hot little motors and you can slap a TRD supercharger on to make them awesome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Stu, I'll agree with the 3.4L statement. They have way more power than my 3.0L and are just as good on gas.

PS: I think after you swap the truck you should throw the 4cyl. in your chair!!!

------------------
Doh !!!!

·
1,269 Posts
Moved to the Toyota general section. I'd go for a 3.0L or 3.4L V6 because I like to "keep it in the family." (the Toyota family you sickos
)

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
71 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it, how much money you want to spend on the swap. If you're keeping it small you can go for the 4.3, but if you're planning on building a big truck do the V8. If you have the money definitely do the Vortec- even carburated they crank out some awesome power. The only difference between the swaps is that it seems most guys have to buy shorty water pumps and electric fans for rad clearance in a V8, in a six it isn't an issue. The other thing is that you can put a v6 in and slide it all the way back and if you aren't happy with the power the v8 will pretty much be a drop in.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.